Change in Velocity: avg & difference in initial & final velocities

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the average and change in velocity given initial and final velocities. It is possible for the change in velocity to exceed the other three quantities and the formula for average velocity is displacement over time. The change in velocity is equal to the difference between the final and initial velocities.
BuhRock
1. If the velocity at the beginning of an interval is 4 m/s and at the end of the interval it is 10 m/s, then what is the average of these velocities, and what is the change in velocity?

Give an example of positive initial and final velocities for which the order of the four quantities would be different.

For positive initial and final velocities, is it possible for the change in velocity to exceed the other three quanities?

2. avg velocity = displacement/time

3. It asks for the average of these velocities. So I can take 10m/s + 4m/s and divide by 2 which equals 7m/s to get the average of those two. The initial is is 4m/s and the final is 10m/s.

I'm not sure how to get the change in velocity with these.

Physics news on Phys.org
BuhRock said:
I'm not sure how to get the change in velocity with these. [/b]

The change in velocity is just...how much it changed. In other words, what was the difference between the final value and the initial value?

So 6 m/s. Is that all? I was over thinking it.

BuhRock said:
So 6 m/s. Is that all? I was over thinking it.

Yeah: how much did the velocity change by? 6 m/s.

I'm sorry I can't provide more information, but I have not been shown how to do this yet.

4. Yes, it is possible for the change in velocity to exceed the other three quantities in certain situations. For example, if the initial velocity is 5 m/s and the final velocity is 20 m/s, the change in velocity would be 15 m/s, which would be greater than both the initial and final velocities. This can occur if there is a significant acceleration or deceleration during the interval.

1. What is the formula for calculating change in velocity?

The formula for calculating change in velocity is Δv = vf - vi, where Δv represents the change in velocity, vf is the final velocity, and vi is the initial velocity.

2. How is average velocity different from change in velocity?

Average velocity is the total displacement divided by the total time taken, while change in velocity is the difference between the initial and final velocities. Average velocity takes into account the direction of the motion, while change in velocity only looks at the magnitude of the change.

3. Can the change in velocity be negative?

Yes, the change in velocity can be negative. This means that the final velocity is less than the initial velocity, indicating a decrease in speed or a change in direction.

4. How does acceleration affect change in velocity?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity, so it directly affects the change in velocity. If there is a constant acceleration, the change in velocity will be directly proportional to the acceleration.

5. Can you have a change in velocity without any acceleration?

No, change in velocity is a result of acceleration. If there is no acceleration, the velocity will remain constant, and there will be no change in velocity.