Responsive Design Not Functioning Properly for Forum Message Windows?

• Thread starter Stephen Tashi
  • Start date
In summary, the forum's message windows are too narrow on my PC. The "Change Width" button on the lower left of the page doesn't have any effect. Other sites I visit display normally.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
At the moment, the display of the forum's message windows is too narrow on my PC. Perhaps I'm seeing pages designed for cell phones. The "Change Width" button on the lower left of the page doesn't have any effect. Other sites I visit display normally.

Physics news on Phys.org
Stephen Tashi said:
Yes. Earlier in the day, my browser was showing full width message windows.
Can you post a screenshot of the problem?

1605488832353.png

In taking the snapshot, I notice the problem goes away if I use the full screen mode on the Firefox window. However, I prefer not to set the window to full screen. In the less-than-full-screen mode the view looks like this:

NarrowView.jpg

I can't reproduce the problem with Firefox. When I make the window narrower the first thing that goes away is the space left/right of the content. Only when that space is completely gone the width of the threads decreases. Before it gets too awkward (what you posted is really awkward) the boxes at the right go to the bottom and the main content gets wider again. Make it even smaller and more columns (like the last post and the replies/views) disappear. The forum view looks good at all browser widths for me.

mfb said:
I can't reproduce the problem with Firefox.
I can. The clue is the "110%" zoom factor in the address bar. Try switching to normal zoom (ctrl-0) and it should get better.

@Greg Bernhardt this is likely due to inconsistency between px and em (or rem) settings in the CSS and could be improved.

Likes Evo, sysprog, berkeman and 2 others
We have a fairly sized update planned for Dec. That might fix it, thanks!

Likes Wrichik Basu
pbuk said:
I can. The clue is the "110%" zoom factor in the address bar. Try switching to normal zoom (ctrl-0) and it should get better.

Excellent! That works.

Likes berkeman
pbuk said:
I can. The clue is the "110%" zoom factor in the address bar.
I can't reproduce it with 110% either. I get the same behavior as with 100%.

mfb said:
I can't reproduce it with 110% either. I get the same behavior as with 100%.
It wasn't easy :wink: - I put it in Responsive View in Development Mode and observed the effect within a small range of display widths around 900-920 pixels.

Likes Evo

1. Why is the "Change width" function not working?

There could be several reasons why the "Change width" function is not working. One possibility is that there is a coding error or bug in the function. Another possibility is that the function is not being called correctly or is not being applied to the correct element. It is also possible that the function is being overridden by other CSS properties. Troubleshooting these potential issues can help determine the cause of the function not working.

2. How can I fix the "Change width" function not working?

If the "Change width" function is not working, there are a few steps you can take to try and fix it. First, double check the code to ensure there are no errors or typos. Next, make sure the function is being called correctly and applied to the intended element. If the issue persists, try removing any other CSS properties that may be conflicting with the function. If all else fails, seek assistance from a web developer or programmer.

3. Is there a specific syntax for the "Change width" function?

Yes, there is a specific syntax for the "Change width" function. Depending on the programming language or platform being used, the syntax may vary slightly. However, in general, the syntax for the "Change width" function should include the element or class to which it is being applied, followed by the desired width value. For example, in CSS, the syntax may look like this: .element {width: 50%;} This would change the width of the element to 50% of its parent container.

4. Can I use the "Change width" function on any element?

In most cases, yes, the "Change width" function can be used on any element. However, it is important to note that certain elements may have default width values or may not respond to the function in the same way. For example, a <span> element may not have a default width, so applying the "Change width" function may not have any effect. It is always best to test the function on different elements to see how they respond.

5. Are there any alternative methods for changing the width of an element?

Yes, there are alternative methods for changing the width of an element. One option is to use inline styles, where the width is specified directly in the HTML code. Another option is to use CSS media queries to change the width based on screen size or device. Additionally, there may be other CSS properties that can indirectly affect the width of an element, such as padding or margins. It is important to consider the specific needs and requirements of the project when determining the best method for changing the width of an element.