1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charge and current density

1. Mar 24, 2009 #1
    Can we make a mathematical (equation) relationship between Current Density and Charge Q.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2009 #2
    hmm... it seems to me that without any additional information it is only possible to connect dQ/dt with j.

4. Mar 25, 2009 #3
    I am trying to find Q using a relationship in which there is no area A.

Knows are

electric potential U

Total flux density D

Total Field Intensity E

Current Density

Inductance.

5. Mar 25, 2009 #4
    There is a relationship between charge density and current density; the charge continuity equation.

6. Mar 25, 2009 #5
    Oscar6330, could you please be more specific? What is the physical system you are trying to describe? For instance, A is area of what? U is electric potential between what points? and so forth...

7. Mar 25, 2009 #6
    In a relativistic theory charge density and spatial current density form a four vector current density j_\mu. In the non relativistic limit they are related by the continuity equation.

8. Mar 25, 2009 #7
    I am trying to find out the capacitance of a system. Now C=Q/V. I am using a Simulation software. The only output parameters available are

electric potential U

Total flux density D

Total Field Intensity E

Current Density J

Inductance.

I am really stuck with it and need help as I am not a Physics guy. Pl tell me some equation

9. Mar 25, 2009 #8
    I don't quite understand...
    What is total field intensity? at what point? and what is flux density?
    If field intensity E is known on the surface S of the conductor you can integrate it over the surface to get total charge Q (Gauss's law)
    [tex] $ Q = \varepsilon_0 \int_{S} E_n dA$ [/tex].
    Capacitance C is then C = Q/U.
    I have a feeling that flux density is just [tex] $ \textbf{D} = \varepsilon_0 \textbf{E}$ [/tex] so [tex] $ Q = \int_{S} D_n dA$ [/tex]
    But I'm not sure...
    May be capacitance of your system has already been calculated by someone? =)

10. Mar 25, 2009 #9
    LOL....well since this is not an assignment, so no one has solved it. So the problem still remains unsolved

11. Mar 25, 2009 #10
    It's a relativistic equation as well. The charge continuity equation is Lorentz invariant, and more, is covariant without connections on a curved spacetime.

12. Mar 25, 2009 #11
    Ok. what i mean is that in the non relativistic limit the charge density is give by j_0 \propto |\phi^2| and it can be associate to a quantum probability but in the relativistic limit the charge density it is not positively defined and thus it is not consistent with a probability interpretation. J_0 \propto \phi* (d_t \phi) - (d_t \phi*) \phi.

13. Mar 26, 2009 #12
    I don't know what a relativistic limit is. Usually you want to keep things at v<c. That way it all works out, is that Maxwell's equations are true, relativistic equations. The charge continuity equation is a direct mathematical consequence, and therefore relativistically invariant itself.

14. Mar 26, 2009 #13
    To be honest, I cannot understand where its going. Can you guys please redirect to my topic

15. Mar 26, 2009 #14
    you are right. the relativistic interpretation of the charge density as a probability can be the object of another topic.

16. Mar 26, 2009 #15
    Sure, Oscar. Without a little more to go on, we don't know what to go on. You need to explain your system.

17. Mar 26, 2009 #16
    That sounds interesting. Why don't you start a thread?

18. Mar 26, 2009 #17
    Well it is very simple. I want to compute capacitance C. Now from my simulation software i can only get the following outputs, which are

electric potential V

Total flux density B

Total Field Intensity H

Current Density J

Inductance.

So I just want an equation, which has these variables only to calculate Capacitance (and some constants)

19. Mar 26, 2009 #18
    You talked about a 'system'. Is it a circuit? Is it a component? What are the dimensions? Are there changes invloved that are fast enough that all of Maxwell's equations are needed, so that B is a factor? J is current density. Current density of what? You do need to be more specific.

20. Mar 26, 2009 #19
    System: Simple Parallel plate capacitor. We are changing the distance between the plates.

Dimension: Let A=w h, distance between plates r

Change: The distance being changed is very fast.

21. Mar 27, 2009 #20
    What material is between the plates? Does current enter the plates? If so where? Is it in a circuit? You will have to do much better to get more answers.

[tex]C = \epsilon_r \epsilon_0 \frac{wh}{r} ,[/tex]

where r << w, r << h

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook