Charge density Excess(find value)

In summary, the electrocapillary curve for mercury in a 0.1M KCl solution was given and the question was asked about the excess charge density at 0.1V. To solve this, the Lippmann equation was suggested, but since there is no expression given, a numerical approach can be used. This can be done through the tangent method or the trapezoidal rule to find the slope or area under the curve, respectively, which represent the excess charge density at 0.1V.
demander
this image was given as the electrocapillary curve for mercury
http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/1083/electroo.th.jpg
for a solution of 0,1M KCL
they ask what is the excess of charge density at 0,1V

So i Know that i need to use the Lippmann equation
[tex]{\sigma}_M=\frac{\partial\gamma}{\partial E(V)}[/tex]
but as i don't have any expression the only thing given is the graphic and the 0,1V that's the point we want, I'm really stuck

i tried to solve it but seems that my problem is that i can't find the way to make this, a teacher said that by the maths way(tangent method) we can determinate the value at 0,1V as the Lippmann equation is purelly a derivative of the graphic, if someone knows how to derivate the graph without any expression, using only things taken from graphic i would thank
i think that's the way to do, don't really know if is really this way

so as said the only data given is the graphic values, the usage os Lippmann equation written above, the concentration 0,1M of KCl but this only a indication don't thinks is really needed and the indication that we want the excess charge density at 0,1V

i hope you can help me, if there is something near indicate-me the link or move to the right section, i think my problem is more a maths problem than chemistry, but I'm confused

if the image don't work i put them in attachement to

Attachments

• electro.jpg
    electro.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 437
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
see the graphic

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you in understanding the excess charge density at 0.1V in the electrocapillary curve for mercury in a 0.1M KCl solution.

First, let's define some terms for clarification. The electrocapillary curve is a plot of the surface tension of a liquid (in this case, mercury) as a function of applied voltage. The excess charge density refers to the amount of charge per unit area that is present at the surface of the liquid due to the applied voltage.

Now, to determine the excess charge density at 0.1V, we can use the Lippmann equation as you mentioned. However, instead of finding the derivative of the surface tension (which we do not have an expression for), we can use a numerical approach.

One way to do this is by using the tangent method, as your teacher suggested. This involves drawing a tangent line at the point on the curve corresponding to 0.1V and finding its slope. The slope of the tangent line represents the change in surface tension with respect to voltage, which is equal to the excess charge density.

Another way is to use the trapezoidal rule, which approximates the area under the curve by dividing it into trapezoids. This can be done using software such as Excel or by hand calculation. The resulting value will also represent the excess charge density at 0.1V.

I hope this helps you understand how to determine the excess charge density at a specific voltage on an electrocapillary curve. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your calculations!

see

The excess charge density refers to the extra charge present at the interface between two phases, in this case, the mercury-electrolyte interface. It is important in understanding the behavior of electrochemical systems.

To calculate the excess charge density at 0.1V, we can use the tangent method as suggested by your teacher. This involves finding the slope of the electrocapillary curve at 0.1V. To do this, we can use the Lippmann equation as you mentioned:

{\sigma}_M=\frac{\partial\gamma}{\partial E(V)}

Where {\sigma}_M is the excess charge density, \gamma is the surface tension and E is the applied potential.

Since we are given the electrocapillary curve, we can estimate the slope at 0.1V by drawing a tangent line at that point and calculating its slope. This slope will give us the value of \frac{\partial\gamma}{\partial E(V)} at 0.1V.

Once we have this value, we can substitute it into the Lippmann equation to calculate the excess charge density at 0.1V.

It is important to note that the Lippmann equation is an approximation and may not give an exact value. However, it is a useful tool for estimating the excess charge density in electrochemical systems.

In summary, to calculate the excess charge density at 0.1V, we can use the tangent method and the Lippmann equation. This will give us an estimate of the extra charge present at the mercury-electrolyte interface at that potential.

Related to Charge density Excess(find value)

What is charge density excess?

Charge density excess refers to the difference between the actual charge density of a system and the expected charge density based on the number of atoms or molecules present. It is a measure of the accumulation or depletion of charge in a given region.

Why is charge density excess important?

Charge density excess can provide valuable information about the electrical properties of a material or system. It can also indicate the presence of defects or impurities, and can affect the behavior of electrons and ions in a system.

How is charge density excess calculated?

Charge density excess is typically calculated by determining the difference between the total charge density and the background charge density. The background charge density is often estimated using a model or theory.

What factors can affect charge density excess?

Charge density excess can be affected by a variety of factors, including temperature, pressure, and the presence of impurities or defects. It can also be influenced by the chemical composition and structure of a material.

How can charge density excess be measured?

Charge density excess can be measured using various techniques, such as X-ray diffraction, electron microscopy, and spectroscopy. These methods can provide information about the distribution of charge in a system and its relationship to other properties.