Charge density in a resistor issue

In summary, the conversation discusses a simple circuit with a voltage source connected to a resistor with given dimensions and electrical conductance. The question is about the electrical field at the center of the resistor and how it relates to the charge density. Through the use of Ohm's law and Maxwell's equations, the conversation leads to the conclusion that the charges in the resistor will accumulate in the region with the greatest resistance, known as the "skin effect". The conversation also mentions the importance of the continuity equation in maintaining the integrity of the solution.
oronanschel

Homework Statement

given simple circuit with V the voltage connected to a resistor
with area A, length d and electrical conductance: b*e^-2x/d
after my computations the resistance

R=d*(e^2-1)/(2bA)

Homework Equations

what is the electrical field E in the center of the resistor?

The Attempt at a Solution

i think it must be 0 because i can't think of
why it will be charged

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey,
Since you didn't provide any formulae, as to how you'd reached your result, let me ask you this: are you familiar with the relation: [tex] \sigma E = j [/tex]?(Local variation of Ohm's law) Where sigma is the conductance, and j is the current density.
Since the voltage is constant, E must be uniform, simple integration should yield what you're looking for...
I hope that helps somewhat,
Daniel
P.S
Clearly, by following the steps above, you can find that the density won't be zero, per se
The "continuity equation", however, if you recall, is still satisfied(naturally), and generates that equilibrium we all seek...

Last edited:
yeah..oops, this is the second question and I managed that one
I know the formula :

[tex] \sigma E = j [/tex](Local variation of Ohm's law)

the 3rd question was the charge density
in the center of the resistor

that i couldn't figure out..

Have you tried Maxwell's equation->[tex] \overrightarrow{\nabla} \cdot \overrightarrow{E} = \frac{\rho}{\epsilon_0} [/tex]
Does that get you any closer?
Daniel

becasue E is E(x), can i say that

[tex] \overrightarrow{\nabla} \cdot \overrightarrow{E} = \frac{\rho}{\epsilon_0}[/tex]
is
[tex] \frac{dE(x)}{dx} = \frac{\rho(x)}{\epsilon_0} [/tex]

?
then problem is solved

Absolutely! But of course, this could only work by stating that the area(A) is also only dependant on x... so long as that's maintained, you're prefectly correct.
Did you end-up reaching the desired answer?
I hope was I able to provide some aid,
Daniel

it doesn't say what is the correct answer but it satisfy me.

so any resistor is also charged (when connected to voltage)? sound weird to me
because out of symmetry why it would be charged positively
and not the opposite?

Since the current travels via a relative value known as the "drift velocity", the charges that encounter the most resistance will also tend to accumulate more in the region where that applies(where the resistivity is greater). This is a phenomenon which is typically observed, but in a different case, as "Skin effects":http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skin_effect"
Be sure however to note that the most valuable equation for conserving the physical aspect of this problem, the "continuity equation" is left unchanged:
[tex] \overrightarrow{\nabla} \cdot \overrightarrow{j} = -\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t} [/tex] which ensures the integrity of the solution.
I pray that shed some light on the issue at hand,
Daniel

Last edited by a moderator:
I love physics

thank u very much Daniel

Related to Charge density in a resistor issue

1. What is charge density in a resistor?

Charge density in a resistor refers to the amount of electric charge per unit volume of the resistor material. It is a measure of how densely packed the charge carriers (usually electrons) are within the resistor.

2. How is charge density related to resistance?

The charge density in a resistor affects the resistance of the material. Generally, the higher the charge density, the lower the resistance of the material. This is because a higher charge density means more charge carriers are available to carry the electric current through the resistor.

3. What factors affect the charge density in a resistor?

The charge density in a resistor is affected by the material it is made of, the length and cross-sectional area of the resistor, and the temperature. Different materials have different charge densities and the longer and thinner a resistor is, the higher its charge density will be. Temperature can also affect the charge density by altering the number of charge carriers in the material.

4. How is charge density measured in a resistor?

Charge density can be measured using various techniques such as capacitance measurements or by analyzing the voltage and current measurements of the resistor. It can also be calculated by dividing the total charge by the volume of the resistor.

5. What is the significance of charge density in electronic circuits?

Charge density plays a crucial role in the performance of electronic circuits. It determines the resistance of a material, which affects the flow of electric current through the circuit. A higher charge density can result in a lower resistance, which can lead to better conductivity and efficiency in electronic devices.