Force on a Moving Charge Due to a Current-Carrying Wire

In summary: Yes you do. 7mm is the radius of a circle surrounding the wire. You're supposed to integrate around the circle.
aChordate

Homework Statement

A charge q+ 4.5 x 10^-9 is located a distance of 7.0 mm to the right of a wire and is moving directly away from the wire with a velocity of v =3.0 x 10^4 m/s, as shown in the drawing (drawing shows charge moving to the right and current moving upwards). The wire carries a current I= 2.2 A. What is the force (magnitude and direction) felt by the charge due to the wire?

Homework Equations

B=F/ (|q|vsinθ)

The Attempt at a Solution

According to the right hand rule, the Force would be pointing downward.

Physics news on Phys.org
aChordate said:

Homework Statement

A charge q+ 4.5 x 10^-9 is located a distance of 7.0 mm to the right of a wire and is moving directly away from the wire with a velocity of v =3.0 x 10^4 m/s, as shown in the drawing (drawing shows charge moving to the right and current moving upwards). The wire carries a current I= 2.2 A. What is the force (magnitude and direction) felt by the charge due to the wire?

Homework Equations

B=F/ (|q|vsinθ)

The Attempt at a Solution

According to the right hand rule, the Force would be pointing downward.

That is correct.

So how about using your 'relevant equation'?

B=F/ (|q|vsinθ)

B= F / (4.5x10^-9)*(3.0x10^4)*(sin 90)

I am not sure how to find the magnetic field. I would use the current I = 2.2 A? And is sin90 correct?

aChordate said:
B=F/ (|q|vsinθ)

B= F / (4.5x10^-9)*(3.0x10^4)*(sin 90)

I am not sure how to find the magnetic field. I would use the current I = 2.2 A? And is sin90 correct?

Sin(90) is correct.
How about using Ampere's law?

aChordate said:
A charge q+ 4.5 x 10^-9 is located a distance of 7.0 mm to the right of a wire and is moving directly away from the wire with a velocity of v =3.0 x 10^4 m/s, as shown in the drawing (drawing shows charge moving to the right and current moving upwards). According to the right hand rule, the Force would be pointing downward.

Are you saying that the force would be in the opposite direction of the current in the wire? I don't think that's correct.

TSny said:
Are you saying that the force would be in the opposite direction of the current in the wire? I don't think that's correct.

The charge is moving in the +x direction and the current is flowing in the +y direction, so at x > 0 the B field is in the -z direction:

v x B =+i x (-k) = +j rats! TSny is right, it flows same direction as the current. OP take note ...

So, If I use ampere's law:

ΔB||*Δl=μ0I

What do I use for Δl? 7.0mm?

aChordate said:
So, If I use ampere's law:

ΔB||*Δl=μ0I

What do I use for Δl? 7.0mm?

You should look up ampere's law. No, it's not 7mm.

That's the equation I have in my textbook.

aChordate said:
That's the equation I have in my textbook.

I don't think so.
Ampere's law integrates around a closed path, not along a radius.

I don't have radius in the equation, I'm confused.

aChordate said:
I don't have radius in the equation, I'm confused.

Yes you do. 7mm is the radius of a circle surrounding the wire. You're supposed to integrate around the circle.

BTW that's the problem with your other post so I will not answer that one again until you're clear on this point.

1. How does charge move through a wire?

The movement of charge through a wire is known as electric current. It occurs when free electrons within the wire are pushed by an electric field, typically created by a voltage source.

2. What is the role of electrons in charge movement?

Electrons are negatively charged particles and they are responsible for carrying the electric current through a wire. They move from areas of high concentration to areas of low concentration, creating a flow of charge.

3. Can charge move through all types of wires?

Charge can move through most conductive materials, such as metals, as they have a high number of free electrons. However, insulating materials, such as rubber or plastic, do not allow for the easy movement of charge.

4. How does the thickness of a wire affect charge movement?

The thickness of a wire, or its cross-sectional area, can impact the movement of charge. A thicker wire has a larger area for electrons to flow, allowing for a higher current to pass through. Conversely, a thinner wire will have a smaller area and therefore a lower current.

5. What is the relationship between charge and voltage in a wire?

Charge and voltage are directly proportional in a wire. This means that an increase in voltage will result in a greater flow of charge through the wire, while a decrease in voltage will result in a lower flow of charge.