Charged particle within an electric field

In summary, the conversation discusses a question that confuses the speaker about finding the electric field when velocity is constant. The speaker considers using the equation a=qE/m, but it is deemed irrelevant. They also mention the possibility of finding the electric field through the integral of the electric potential, but are unsure of how to do so with the given information. Additionally, the conversation mentions the inclusion of the magnitude of the magnetic field and how it cancels out the electric and gravitational forces. The speaker also asks for clarification on the magnetic force on the ion.
howsockgothap

Homework Statement

phys2.png

Homework Equations

DON'T KNOW

The Attempt at a Solution

I can honestly say I've never been this confused by a question. At first my mind automatically went to a=qE/m since I have both charge and mass, but it became apparent that the equation was irrelevant because the velocity is constant. I thought it might be possible that I'm supposed to obtain the electric field by taking the integral of the electric potential, but I don't understand how I can get that using the information I have, and I have no sweet clue why the magnitude of the magnetic field is included.

Physics news on Phys.org
It means the magnetic force exactly cancels the electric force (plus the gravitational force). What's the magnetic force on the ion? :wink:

What is a charged particle?

A charged particle is an atom or molecule that has an imbalance of protons and electrons, causing it to have a positive or negative charge.

What is an electric field?

An electric field is an area around a charged particle or object where an electric force can be felt by other charged particles or objects.

How does a charged particle behave within an electric field?

A charged particle within an electric field will experience a force proportional to its charge and the strength of the electric field. It will also follow the direction of the electric field lines.

What is the equation for calculating the force on a charged particle within an electric field?

The force on a charged particle within an electric field can be calculated using the equation F = qE, where F is the force, q is the charge of the particle, and E is the strength of the electric field.

How can the motion of a charged particle within an electric field be manipulated?

The motion of a charged particle within an electric field can be manipulated by changing the strength or direction of the electric field through the use of external sources such as a battery or power supply.