Charging a Capacitor: Find Rate of Charge & Energy

In summary, after connecting a 3.00 MΩ resistor and a 1.00 μF capacitor in series, the capacitor charges at a rate of 9.55uA.
Fat_Squirrel

Homework Statement

A 3.00 MΩ resistor and a 1.00 μF capacitor are connected in series with an ideal battery of emf E = 4.00 V. At 1.00 sec after the connection is made, what is the rate at which

(a) the charge of the capacitor is increasing;
(b) energy is being stored in the capacitor;
(c) thermal energy is appearing in the resistor; and
(d) energy is being delivered by the battery?

Homework Equations

VC=E(1-e-t/RC) ??

The Attempt at a Solution

About the only thing I can work out is that the time constant (R*C=3 seconds).
I'm not sure how I work out rate of charge. but I can't see how any of the formulas I've looked at mention any of these things. Surely they wouldn't expect me to differentiate these equations myself (professor is always saying he wants us to do physics, not maths). What am I missing?

I assume for (a) I need to find out the instantaneous current? So I=E/R e-t/RC

4/3MΩ * e-1/3 = 0.955μA
Do I just express that in coulombs?

Is (b) just another way of asking (a) - or is this talking about something different?
(c) I've yet to google , and (d) I assume takes into account (b) and whatever is lost in (c).

For now, help with (a) would be nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just realized it only wants the rate, and not the rate of change of these things.
So (a) we are looking for current, so E/R e^(-t/RC)

= 4/3000000 * e^(-1/3) = 9.55uA ??

(b) energy I guess I use U = 1/2 CV^2 ?
(c) Relates to Power, so P=I^2*R
(d) can wait.

Is (b) just 1/2 QV, so 1/2 * 1/4 = 2 somethings ?

And (d) just QV, so 1x4 = 4.

4/3MΩ * e-1/3 = 0.955μA
Do I just express that in coulombs?
current is coulombs/second, and coulombs/second are the units you'll be looking for to describe the rate that capacitor charge is changing

Fat_Squirrel said:

And (d) just QV, so 1x4 = 4.
Energy stored on the capacitor is ½QV, but you are required to determine the rate-of-change of Energy

Does your textbook provide the answers to these?

Nothing I can find. Can't even google myself a formula.

Closest guess would be -
cape16.gif
But I'm not even sure what dq are in this?

Last edited:
For (C) I'm assuming its P=I^2 R = 9.55x10^-6 * 3000000 = 2.74 x 10^-6 Watts ??

Last edited:
Fat_Squirrel said:
For (C) I'm assuming its P=I^2 R = 9.55x10^-6 * 3000000 = 2.74 x 10^-6 Watts ??
I^2 R is resistor power, and power is Joules/second, so the formula is right. But is I = 9.55uA, or 0.955uA?

NascentOxygen said:
I^2 R is resistor power, and power is Joules/second, so the formula is right. But is I = 9.55uA, or 0.955uA?

Cheers, you're right, its 9.55 x 10^-7, so 0.955 uA.

Any hints for b and d ??

Is (b) requiring me to use ω CV Sin(ωt + pi/2) ?

Aside from that, I'm out of ideas.
Anyone ??

One last request for help. I have an hour and a half until I need to submit this.

Fat_Squirrel said:
That's a good starting point, but remember you are looking for dU/dt.

There may be a shorter way than I'm thinking of, but if you start off with U(t) = ½Q(t).V(t) and differentiate you get (harking back to the derivative-of-a-product rule in Calculus 101)

dU/dt = ½Q.dV/dt + ½V.dQ/dt

Now, see whether you can change the dV/dt term on the RHS to a dQ/dt term, because if you can then simply substitute current for dQ/dt.

The equation Q = CV will be handy here. Indeed, it's a good equation to memorize, adding another arrow to your expanding physics quiver. :smile:

NascentOxygen said:
That's a good starting point, but remember you are looking for dU/dt.

There may be a shorter way than I'm thinking of, but if you start off with U(t) = ½Q(t).V(t) and differentiate you get (harking back to the derivative-of-a-product rule in Calculus 101)

dU/dt = ½Q.dV/dt + ½V.dQ/dt

Now, see whether you can change the dV/dt term on the RHS to a dQ/dt term, because if you can then simply substitute current for dQ/dt.

The equation Q = CV will be handy here. Indeed, it's a good equation to memorize, adding it to your expanding physics quiver. :smile:
Cheers, too late now, missed my deadline. I can't believe all I needed was the product rule (what I'm currently doing in maths .. oh man).
I'll play with this later in the week when I have a little free time.

Thanks for the help.

1. What is a capacitor and how does it work?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in the form of an electric field. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material called a dielectric. When a voltage is applied across the plates, one plate becomes positively charged and the other becomes negatively charged, creating an electric field between them. This electric field stores the energy, which can be released when needed.

2. How do you charge a capacitor?

To charge a capacitor, you need to connect it to a voltage source, such as a battery. This creates a potential difference between the plates, causing one plate to become positively charged and the other to become negatively charged. The capacitor will continue to charge until the potential difference across the plates reaches the same value as the voltage source.

3. How do you calculate the rate of charge for a capacitor?

The rate of charge for a capacitor can be calculated using the formula Q = CV, where Q is the charge in coulombs, C is the capacitance in farads, and V is the voltage in volts. This formula shows that the rate of charge is directly proportional to the capacitance and voltage.

4. How do you calculate the energy stored in a charged capacitor?

The energy stored in a capacitor can be calculated using the formula E = 1/2CV², where E is the energy in joules, C is the capacitance in farads, and V is the voltage in volts. This formula shows that the energy stored is directly proportional to the capacitance and the square of the voltage.

5. How can you increase the rate of charge and energy storage in a capacitor?

To increase the rate of charge and energy storage in a capacitor, you can either increase the capacitance or the voltage. This can be achieved by using capacitors with larger surface area or by connecting capacitors in parallel to increase the overall capacitance. Similarly, connecting capacitors in series will increase the overall voltage. It is important to note that the voltage across a capacitor should not exceed its maximum rating to avoid damaging the component.