Checking Rewritten Equation for y=-3f(-2x+4)+5

• Thread starter aisha
  • Start date
In summary, the notation y=-3f(-2x+4)+5 represents an equation where the output variable (y) is equal to -3 times the function f evaluated at the input variable (-2x+4), plus 5. To check if an equation is rewritten correctly, you need to ensure that both sides of the equation are equivalent. This means that the new equation should have the same solution set as the original equation. Checking a rewritten equation is important to ensure that there are no mistakes or errors made during the rewriting process and that it will produce the same results when solved. The steps to check a rewritten equation for y=-3f(-2x+4)+5 involve substituting the given values for x into both
aisha
My question says the graph of the function y=f(x) is below Sketch the graph of y=-3f(-2x+4)+5 I just want to make sure I rewrote the equation correctly into the form af[k(x-p)]+q
I got y=-3f[-2(x-(2)]+5 ? I am not sure if my signs are correct. Can someone please check for me :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
You're right.

First of all, great job on rewriting the equation in the form of af[k(x-p)]+q! This is the correct form for a function in which the graph has been horizontally or vertically stretched, compressed, or shifted.

To check if your equation is correct, let's break it down into parts. The first thing we can check is the value of "a". In the original equation, y=-3f(-2x+4)+5, the value of "a" is -3. In your rewritten equation, y=-3f[-2(x-(2)]+5, the value of "a" is also -3. So, the value of "a" is correct.

Next, let's check the value of "k". In the original equation, the value of "k" is -2, since the expression inside the parentheses is -2x+4. In your rewritten equation, the value of "k" is also -2, since the expression inside the square brackets is -2(x-2). So, the value of "k" is also correct.

Moving on to "p", in the original equation, the value of "p" is 2, since the expression inside the parentheses is -2x+4. In your rewritten equation, the value of "p" is also 2, since the expression inside the square brackets is x-(2). So, the value of "p" is correct as well.

Lastly, let's check the value of "q". In the original equation, the value of "q" is 5, since it is the constant term added at the end. In your rewritten equation, the value of "q" is also 5, since it is added at the end as well. So, the value of "q" is also correct.

Overall, it looks like you have rewritten the equation correctly! Great job! Just remember to pay attention to the signs when dealing with negative numbers and you should be good to go. Keep up the good work!

Related to Checking Rewritten Equation for y=-3f(-2x+4)+5

1. What does the notation "y=-3f(-2x+4)+5" mean?

The notation y=-3f(-2x+4)+5 represents an equation where the output variable (y) is equal to -3 times the function f evaluated at the input variable (-2x+4), plus 5.

2. How do you check if an equation is rewritten correctly?

To check if an equation is rewritten correctly, you need to ensure that both sides of the equation are equivalent. This means that the new equation should have the same solution set as the original equation. You can do this by performing the same operations on both sides of the equation and simplifying until you reach the same form on both sides.

3. Why is it important to check a rewritten equation?

Checking a rewritten equation is important to ensure that there are no mistakes or errors made during the rewriting process. It also helps to verify that the new equation is equivalent to the original one, and that it will produce the same results when solved.

4. Can you explain the steps to check a rewritten equation for y=-3f(-2x+4)+5?

First, you need to substitute the given values for x into both equations and solve for y. Then, compare the solutions for y in both equations to see if they are equivalent. Next, substitute the solutions for y back into the original equation and the rewritten equation to see if they produce the same results. If they do, then the rewritten equation is correct.

5. How can I tell if a rewritten equation is incorrect?

If a rewritten equation is incorrect, it will produce different results when substituted with the same values for x compared to the original equation. You can also check for errors by comparing the steps taken to rewrite the equation and see if any mistakes were made during the process.