Checking Your Work: Did I Solve #14 Correctly?

• Thread starter Marcin H
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Current
In summary: If you were asking me, about that thing I did, and that thing was posting those images, see the following. Otherwise, Doc Al and others, will continue working with you.In summary, you need to use the Snipping Tool in Windows to take a snapshot of the portion of your monitor's screen that is relevant to solving a problem, paste it into the reply window of PF , and specify the direction of the current in order to find the equations.
Marcin H said:
Hello again! Sorry have one last question! I thought I had this right, but then I started thinking about it and I'm not sure anymore. My thought was since the voltage was changing and the current was constant, that the source was a voltage source. I kinda thought of it as you changing the voltage on a power supply or something keeping the current constant. Is that right? I feel like it's not.
You had it right the first time. Read this: Voltage and Current Sources

Physics news on Phys.org
Doc Al said:
You had it right the first time. Read this: Voltage and Current Sources
I am very confused right now. So are you saying that the graph shows a constant voltage source? My professor said that if you have a constant current, then it is a current source, but i don't think that's right. The slope for the graph on that problem would be zero which means zero resistance. The hyperphysics link agrees with that too. Here are my professors notes:
Screen Shot 2016-01-26 at 11.28.16 AM.png

Edit: Also, I asked this here yesterday and gneill seems to say otherwise.
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/voltage-or-current-source.854007/#post-5356009

Marcin H said:
So are you saying that the graph shows a constant voltage source?
No. Current is on the vertical axis and is constant.

Marcin H said:
My professor said that if you have a constant current, then it is a current source, but i don't think that's right.
Your professor is correct.

Marcin H said:
The slope for the graph on that problem would be zero which means zero resistance.
Note that is is a Current vs Voltage graph, so be careful how you interpret the slope.

Marcin H said:
The hyperphysics link agrees with that too.
Not sure what you mean here. Hyperphysics agrees with your professor (and with me).

Doc Al said:
Note that is is a Current vs Voltage graph, so be careful how you interpret the slope.
How can you interpret the slope then? Slope is rise over run, so i/v. Oh, which is not resistance. REsistance is v/i. So what does the slope tell us exactly?

Marcin H said:
So what does the slope tell us exactly?
You can think of it as 1/R going to zero.

Or just imagine how you'd draw the v/i graph.

Ohhhhhhh. Ok, that makes sense now. I had it flipped. Now makes me question why show the graph like that -_- Oh well. Thanks for clarifying!