Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemical attack of amorphous carbon

1. Jan 20, 2009 #1
    Hi everyone,
    i wonder if anyone has an idea how to attack chemically an amorphous carbon film. Is it possible to completely dissociate an amorphous carbon in a chemical solvent???
    thanks for your help

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2009 #2

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

a-carbon is often used as a hard mask in e.g. nanolithography but as far as I know it is then always removed using oxygen plasma (that is what I always used back when I was actually doing some cleanroom work); do you have access to an asher?

4. Jan 28, 2009 #3
    Actually it's well known that plasma oxygen attack will remove the a-Carbon. Such expermint take so long, its hard a little, and actually i dont have access to it all the time. that's why i thought that maybe i can etch the a-Carbon chemical attack, by a solvant (acid, base)... dont know

5. Jan 28, 2009 #4

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Piranha solution might work. A fume hood and personal protective gear (face mask, nitrile gloves, apron) are absolutely required.

6. Jan 28, 2009 #5

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I asked a colleague who has got a lot of experience with films of a-carbon, he tells me that it is almost impossible to remove them chemically.

Why does it take you so long when using oxygen plasma? As far as I remember it only took a few minutes to completely remove all carbon in plasma.
    Of course there is also of pump-down time of the system etc but that shouldn't be very long for an asher, you do not need very low pressures for this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?