Chemically Dissolve Strontium

• Thread starter Singularityguy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dissolve
In summary, the conversation was about how to chemically dissolve Strontium in its solid form. The person needed it in liquid or flake form for safety and efficiency, to mix with a graphene conductive dispersion. They planned on using an electrolyte like KOH or NaOH, but were unsure how to prepare the Strontium metal for dissolution without a reaction.
Singularityguy
How do you chemically dissolve Strontium in it's solid form? (It's an alkaline metal)

I need it in some kind of liquid form or flakes (I was thinking of just shaving it down but that might not be as efficient nor very safe) so I can then put it into another solution of graphene conductive dispersion.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Singularityguy said:
so I can then put it into another solution of graphene conductive dispersion
Please "Say again. Over."

Bystander said:
Please "Say again. Over."

Graphene conductive dispersion: graphite, n-Butyl Acetate, Ethyl Cellulose - https://graphene-supermarket.com/Conductive-Graphene-Dispersion-100.html
I'm planning on mixing it with an electrolyte such as KOH or NaOH

However, how do you get Strontium metal prepared so it will dissolve in the solution?

Singularityguy said:
mixing it with an electrolyte such as KOH or NaOH
Singularityguy said:
dissolve in the solution
Without reaction? You don't.

What is strontium?

Strontium is a chemical element with the symbol Sr and atomic number 38. It is a soft, silvery-white metal that is highly reactive and found in the Earth's crust.

What does it mean to chemically dissolve strontium?

Chemically dissolving strontium means using a chemical reaction to break down the strontium into smaller particles, typically in a liquid solution.

What are the common methods used to chemically dissolve strontium?

The most common methods for chemically dissolving strontium include using acids, such as hydrochloric acid or nitric acid, or using complexing agents like ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid (EDTA).

Why is it important to dissolve strontium?

Dissolving strontium is important in various industries, such as in the production of strontium compounds for use in electronics, ceramics, and pyrotechnics. It is also used for medical imaging and research purposes.

What safety precautions should be taken when working with chemically dissolving strontium?

When working with chemically dissolving strontium, it is important to wear proper protective equipment, such as gloves and goggles, and work in a well-ventilated area. It is also important to carefully follow all instructions and handle the chemicals with caution to avoid any potential hazards.