How Did My Professor Calculate 45 mmoles of Limiting Reagent in a Chemistry Lab?

In summary: The mass of the reagent dissolved is the mass of the H3PO4 and Na2CO3 combined, not just the H3PO4 and Na2CO3 themselves.
Puchinita5

Homework Statement

Hi. I'm reaady to panic right now so if anyone could please take the time to answer my question I would HUGELY appreciate it! I seriously need to get this done soon as I also have a test tomorrow and i just want to cry because I'm getting nowhere...

We did a lab experiment which involved 50 mL of 1.02 Molar H3PO4. The density was given to be 1.05 g/mL.

We also had 45 mL of 1 Molar Na2CO3 with a density of 1.10 g/mL.

We were asked to find the mass of both solutions. I got 52.5 g of H3PO4 and 49.5 g of Na2CO3.

Our professor gave us the value that there is 45 mmoles of limiting reagent. And I would assume the Na2CO3 is the limiting reagent because there is less of it.

But HOW IN THE WORLD did he get 45 mmoles?

This is how I'm trying to do it:

(49.5 g Na2CO3)/ (106 g Na2CO3)= .467 moles, or 467 mmoles of Na2CO3, and since there are the same number of moles of CO3 2- as Na2CO3, the mmoles of CO3 2- should also be 467 mmoles.

why am i SOOOOO far off?

PLEASE HELP! i have a million questions to do on this lab and i can't even understand why my numbers are the way they are so i can't even start TRYING to answer the questions because I'm so confused...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
OMG nevermind...a million hours later i looked at this again, and i have no idea what i was thinking earlier...

I figured it out...this is why it's good to get a good night's sleep...after a while, even simple things look impossible! hahahah

For those looking later at the thread - mass of the solution is NOT mass of the reagent dissolved.

1. What are acids and bases?

Acids and bases are types of compounds that are defined by their chemical properties. Acids are substances that produce hydrogen ions (H+) in solution, while bases are substances that produce hydroxide ions (OH-) in solution. Acids have a sour taste and can be corrosive, while bases have a bitter taste and can be slippery.

2. What is the significance of pH in acid-base chemistry?

pH is a measure of the concentration of hydrogen ions in a solution, and it is used to indicate the acidity or basicity of a substance. A pH of 7 is considered neutral, while a pH below 7 is acidic and a pH above 7 is basic. pH plays a crucial role in many chemical reactions and biological processes.

3. What is a mole in chemistry?

A mole is a unit of measurement in chemistry that represents the amount of a substance. One mole of a substance contains 6.022 x 10^23 particles, which is known as Avogadro's number. This number is used to convert between the mass of a substance and the number of particles it contains.

4. What does the term "emergency" refer to in acid-base chemistry?

The term "emergency" in acid-base chemistry refers to a situation where the balance between acids and bases in the body is disrupted, leading to potentially life-threatening conditions. These can include acidosis (too much acid in the body) or alkalosis (too much base in the body).

5. How can I calculate the concentration of an acid or base in a solution?

The concentration of an acid or base in a solution can be calculated using the formula: concentration (M) = moles of solute / volume of solution (L). This formula is known as the molarity formula and is used to determine the amount of a substance present in a given volume of solution.