Chemistry Help - Partial Pressure in Decomp

In summary, the conversation discusses a chemistry problem involving the partial decomposition of NOCl in a reaction vessel. The question asks for the partial pressures of the gases after the reaction and the percentage of NOCl that decomposed. The conversation touches on concepts such as ideal gas law, mole fractions, and reaction stoichiometry. The final solution involves calculating the number of moles of each gas present at the end of the reaction and using that information to determine the partial pressures.
YoChem
So I've been working on this for awhile now and I am just not getting to the right answer.

The exact question is:
When 1.7 mol of NOCl was heated to 225 C in a 353 L steel reaction vessel the NOCl partially decomposed according to the following equation:
2NOCl ---->2NO + Cl2
What are the partial pressure of the gases after the reaction? (Cl2, NO, NOCl2)
What percent of NOCl decomposed?

So off the bat I'm assuming that there is 1.7 mol of NOCl, 1.7 mol NO and .85 mol of Cl2.
After that I've tried a few different things. If someone could explain the steps to me that would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
There is not enough information to solve the question. You are told NOCl decomposed PARTIALLY - so amount of gases produced is not known.

Is this whole question? What part of the course (and what course) are you doing now?

Sorry about that. I did leave a part out. It says the final pressure after the reaction is .26 atm. Its from the Mastering Chemistry software and its for Chem 1 and we are currently studying partial pressure.
We have not gone over ICE charts or anything overtly compicated. Any thoughts?

I am not too sure if I follow you based on the information you provided. But, (and somebody please correct me if I am wrong) you need to find out the amount moles of each substance present at the end of the reaction. From that you would then need to determine the mole fraction of each substance at the end of the reaction. Assuming the gasses act ideally (so that we can simplify the problem), each substance present at the end of reaction contributes to the final pressure (0.26 atm) in proportion to its mole fraction (e.g. PNO= XNO*Pfinal).

However, as Borek explained before there is insufficient information to obtain the answer.

Together with pressure it can be solved. Reaction equation gives you information about ratio of number of moles of gases present. Total pressure is sum of partial pressures, you know ratio of partial pressures - that gives you two equations in two unknowns, simple algebra to solve.

--

So what would be the total amount of moles of gas? is it 5 (2+2+1) or 4.25 (1.7+1.7+.85) and would the pressure it gets multiplied by be .26 (the final pressure in the vessel) or is it .2 (P=((1.7)(.08206)(498)/353)).
Sorry I am lost with this, my instructor kind of breezed though this information, so I'm trying to mostly teach myself.

Total AMOUNT of gas doesn't matter.

You have two unknown partial pressures - PNO and PCl2. What is their sum? Can you tell - looking at the reaction stoichiometry - what is ratio PNO/PCl2?

Sorry maybe I am not seeing this clearly.
Dont you need to know the total amount of moles to figure out the partial pressure?
(mol of molecule/total mol)*(pressure)?
So in this case the moles of NOCl is 1.7. The mol of NO is the same 1.7 and the mol of Cl2 is half that .85. Then I would divide each by the total amount of mol and multiply each by .26?
Im I on the right track with this?

YoChem said:
Im I on the right track with this?

No. Try to answer my questions.

In your question your'e saying I have two unknown partial pressure, but don't i have 3? The NOCl as well.
The sum of all the partial pressures though have to equal .26 atm. The ratio of NO/Cl2 is 1:2 correct?

Well I got the correct answer.
If someone wanted to check my work just to make sure it wasnt blind luck.
1) I wanted to know how many moles are supposed to be in the final reaction so through the ideal gas law the final reaction should have 2.25 moles.
2) So we started with 1.7 moles of NOCl to get the percentage of the reaction that was decomposed I subtracted 2.24-1.7 then divided that by 1.7 to get 33 percent DID not compose.
3. 33% of 1.7 gives you moles of NOCl left then subtracting that from 2.25 I was able to find the moles of the other compounds. By using the mol ratio I was able to find the exact moles of those compounds and then was able to get the partial pressure.
What do you think?

Sorry, I am an idiot. After seeing the question and seeing that it can't be solved later for some reason I was all the time sure you started with solid, not with a gas - and after making my mind initially I have not bothered to look again at the problem. My mistake. But...

YoChem said:
The sum of all the partial pressures though have to equal .26 atm. The ratio of NO/Cl2 is 1:2 correct?

this is still the right starting point.

And 2.25 moles of total gas is an important information. 2.25-1.7=0.55 is a difference in number of moles between initial mixture and the final mixture. 2 moles of NOCl give 2 moles on NO, so there is no change in the number of moles here. Can you say 0.55 moles of what appeared? Can you use stoichiometry to calculate number of moles of NOCl that decomposed?

33% doesn't look OK to me, correct result is almost twice that.

More systematic approach would be to first calculate number of moles change per mole of decomposed NOCl, than - knowing that change in number of moles was 0.55 - use ratio to calculate number of moles NOCl that decomposed.

1. What is partial pressure in chemistry?

Partial pressure in chemistry refers to the pressure exerted by a single gas component in a mixture of gases. It is a measure of the concentration of a particular gas in a mixture and is typically expressed in units of atmospheres (atm) or kilopascals (kPa).

2. How is partial pressure calculated?

Partial pressure is calculated using the ideal gas law, which states that the pressure of a gas is equal to the product of its number of moles, temperature, and the universal gas constant. To calculate partial pressure, you would need to know the total pressure of the gas mixture, the mole fraction of the gas component, and the total number of moles of gas present.

3. Why is partial pressure important in decomposition reactions?

In a decomposition reaction, a compound breaks down into simpler substances. The partial pressure of each gas component involved in the reaction can affect the rate and direction of the reaction. This is because the partial pressure of a gas is directly proportional to its concentration, and a higher concentration of a particular gas can drive the reaction in a certain direction.

4. How does temperature affect partial pressure?

According to the ideal gas law, an increase in temperature will result in an increase in the pressure of a gas. This means that an increase in temperature will also result in an increase in the partial pressure of a gas in a mixture. On the other hand, a decrease in temperature will result in a decrease in partial pressure.

5. What is Dalton's law of partial pressures?

Dalton's law of partial pressures states that the total pressure of a gas mixture is equal to the sum of the individual partial pressures of each gas component in the mixture. This law is based on the fact that gases behave independently of each other and do not interact unless a chemical reaction occurs.