Help with Chemistry Homework: Dissociation, Equations & Concentrations

To get the coefficients in the net ionic equation, you look at the number of each type of atom on each side of the molecular equation, and see how you need to combine the different ions to have the same number of each type of atom on both sides.Here's how I did the net ionic equation:The molecular equation isH_2SO_4 + Ba(OH)_2 ------> 2H_2O + BaSO_4 (s)I start by putting the ions in the left side, and the ions in the right side, remembering to include their charges:2H^+ + SO_4^{-2} + Ba^{+2}
LasPapito
Can anyone please help me to do my homework, i just don't get it?

1.Write the equations of dissociation of Carbonic acid, sodium carbonate and sodium hydrogen

2.Write molecular and net ionic equation of H3PO4+Ba(OH)2

3.800ml of water been added to 200ml 40% phosphoric acid solution (d=1,3g/cm3). What is the percentage conc. of the prepared solution?

4.What is molar conc. of 40% H3PO4 solution? (d=1,3g/cm3)

And i would be really thankful if you would show me how exactly to get the answer :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, can't help until you give it your best effort.

1.Write the equations of dissociation of Carbonic acid, sodium carbonate and sodium hydrogen

CO2+H2O⇌2H+co3
2Na+O+CO2⇌2na+co3
Na+OH+2H+CO3⇌Na+HCO3+H2O

2H3PO4+3Ba(OH)2->Ba3(PO4)2+6H2O
6H+2PO4+3BaOH->Ba3(PO4)2+6H2O

Thats how much i managed to do.. I'll couldn't do 3 and 4 parts, i just don't get it... :/

Last edited:
For the first part write the charges of ionic species.

LasPapito said:
Are you missing something at the end there? There's no such thing as "sodium hydrogen".

On the left side of each dissociation equation, you need to have the formula of the compound that's dissociating.

Example: [itex]Na_2CO_3 \longrightarrow ... + ... [/itex]

im sry.. Sodium hydrogen carbonate.. after your example i managed to do two first equations, but i don't know how to make the 3rd one.. there is 3 elements, NaHCO3.. :/

is this correct:
2H3PO4+3Ba(OH)2->Ba3(PO4)2+6H2O
2H3PO4+3Ba(2+)+2OH(-)->Ba3(PO4)2+6H2O ?

Well, if I were writing the net ionic equation for the reaction between sulfuric acid and barium hydroxide, I would write:

[tex]2H^+ + SO_4^{-2} + Ba^{+2} + 2(OH^-) \rightarrow{} 2H_2O + BaSO_4 (s)[/tex]

and the molecular reaction would be:

[tex]H_2SO_4 + Ba(OH)_2 ------> 2H_2O + BaSO_4[/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is dissociation in chemistry?

Dissociation in chemistry refers to the process in which a compound breaks apart into smaller, simpler molecules or ions. This can happen when a compound is dissolved in a solvent or when it undergoes a chemical reaction.

2. How do I write dissociation equations?

Dissociation equations can be written by separating the compound into its individual ions or molecules and indicating their charges. For example, the dissociation of sodium chloride (NaCl) can be written as Na+ + Cl-.

3. What is the difference between dissociation and ionization?

Dissociation and ionization are similar processes in which a compound breaks apart into smaller units. However, dissociation specifically refers to the separation of a compound into its ions, while ionization can also refer to the formation of ions from atoms or molecules.

4. How do I calculate concentrations in chemistry?

To calculate concentrations in chemistry, you will need to know the amount of solute (substance being dissolved) and the volume of the solution. Concentration can be expressed in various units such as molarity (mol/L) or percent concentration (%).

5. What is a solution in chemistry?

A solution in chemistry is a homogeneous mixture of two or more substances. The substance being dissolved is called the solute, and the substance in which it is dissolved is called the solvent. Solutions can be in different states (solid, liquid, gas) and can have varying concentrations.