Choosing topic for physics/comp sci project, looking for ideas.

In summary: In the scenario with highway driving with traffic entering, leaving, and changing lanes, the traffic simulation would need to track the number of cars, their speeds, and their positions. In the scenario with local driving with traffic stops and cross streets, the traffic simulation would need to track the number of cars, their speeds, and their positions at the traffic stop.
austeane
I am a second year Physics student at UBC, and we are programming in Matlab for the second half of one of my courses (the first half was on Unix/Maple/Python). I am looking for some advice on a good end of year project. Basically, we have to model some sort of physical system on matlab.
A lot of people do N-body problems, modelling how particles interact gravitationally/electromagnetically.
Some excerpts fromt the course website:
"each student must choose a topic for a term project in some area of computational physics or closely related field, prepare and present a proposal to the class, carry out the project and produce a write-up of it in the basic style of a scientific/technical paper."

"In keeping with the spirit of the course, all term projects should involve programming to a significant extent, and students are encouraged to use MATLAB, or possibly Maple, to implement their projects: assuming that you do so, you are expected to do more than use some built in MATLAB/Maple facility to perform the bulk of your computations."

Does anyone have any ideas on interesting topics to pursue? I am interested in ice hockey, so modelling something related to shooting a puck could be interesting, but it has to have well defined math behind it.

For reference, I have taken Calculus 1 and 2, and am currently taking multivariable calculus. I have basic knowledge of differential equations, but nothing too in depth.

Other than this course, my only experience in any program is a first year program design course, so I am still a beginner. I haven't done much in Matlab but we have more than a month for this project and I am willing to learn.

Here are a list of the standard topics: http://laplace.physics.ubc.ca/210/Term.html

I'd like to do something interesting, any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Try ray tracing through an optical system; or for something not on the list, ray trace an unpolarized beam through a birefringent crystal ... calcite would do, but perhaps make it general where the axes and coefficients are input.

Thanks! I haven't done any optics yet though. First year was a lot of E&M, lots of dynamics, angular momentum... First term this year is Special Relativity.

Any more ideas? Thanks!

I looked at your list; a good traffic simulation would be interesting, and you might learn something from it. I would allow some different driver responses (tail-gaters, follow at recommended distance, travel with the traffic, etc) and then allow a random selection of drivers with specified probabilities for getting each type - and see what happens when you have all one type, or various splits.

There are two different scenarios: highway driving with traffic entering, leaving, and changing lanes, and local driving with traffic stops and cross streets with traffic.

Related to Choosing topic for physics/comp sci project, looking for ideas.

1. How do I choose a topic for a physics or computer science project?

Choosing a topic for your project can be challenging, but there are a few things you can consider to help narrow down your options. First, think about your interests and what you are passionate about. This will make the project more enjoyable for you. You can also look at current research and trends in the field to find inspiration. Additionally, consider the resources and equipment available to you and choose a project that is feasible within those constraints.

2. What are some popular physics or computer science project ideas?

Some popular project ideas in these fields include building a simple robot, creating a computer program or app, conducting experiments on electricity or magnetism, or researching new advances in quantum computing. Other ideas could include designing a new algorithm, exploring the applications of artificial intelligence, or studying the physics behind sports or music.

3. How can I make my project stand out?

To make your project stand out, consider adding a unique twist or approach to a commonly studied topic. You could also incorporate interdisciplinary concepts or use advanced technology in your project. Additionally, conducting thorough research and presenting your findings in a creative and organized manner can make your project more impressive.

4. Is it better to focus on physics or computer science for my project?

It ultimately depends on your interests and strengths. If you enjoy working with computers and programming, a computer science project may be a better fit for you. However, if you are more interested in physical concepts and conducting experiments, a physics project may be more suitable. You could also consider combining both fields in your project for a more multidisciplinary approach.

5. How can I ensure the success of my project?

To ensure the success of your project, it is important to plan ahead and set realistic goals and timelines. Make sure to communicate with your mentor or advisor regularly and seek help when needed. Also, don't be afraid to make changes or adjustments to your project if something isn't working. Finally, stay organized and stay motivated throughout the project to achieve the best results.