Understanding CN in Problem Solving: Explained!

In summary: Could you please explain again why tan 2a = 4/3? Because, tan alpha is the angle between the 3/4x line and y axis. And, since the line with equation 4x + 3y = q, has a slope of 4/3, then tan alpha would equal r/yaxis distance(4).
nokia8650
Problem attached. I can do the question in a variety of ways, however was unable to understand some of the other methods suggested on the markscheme. Please can someone explain them (centre of circle is (r,4), and intersection of line and circle is at (16/5, 12/5).

i) ↕CN = 4 sin p + r cos p
Complete method to find r
CN = 4 ; with substituted

r = 2

I do not understand what N is in the above solution, and do not understand how it was done.

The other two solutions are attached.

Thanks!

Attachments

• cir.jpg
    cir.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 405
  • sol.jpg
    sol.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 409
Physics news on Phys.org
Also, i was struggling with the next part, which tells you that the line with eqn. 4x + 3y = q, q>12 is a tangent, and asks one to find q. The markscheme for this part is attached. Could anyone please explain both methods in the markscheme?

Thanks!

Attachments

• sol1.jpg
    sol1.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 427
Do you trying to know why intersection is (16/8,12/5)?

Because, tangents to circle are of equal lengths, one of them is 4, so other also should be of length 4.. now just sqrt(x^2+(3/4x)^2) = 4 ..

and because radius is perp. to y-axis so center is that..

thinking of other questions now..

i) ↕CN = 4 sin p + r cos p
Complete method to find r
CN = 4 ; with substituted

r = 2

I think CN is vertical distance between Center C and x axis.
and p is the angle between the 3/4x line and x-axis and it is equal to the angle between vertical axis through circle center and radius line that touhes 3/4 x line.

once you got that equation, you can plug sinp p and cos p values using the right angle triangle between 3/4x line and x-axistan 2 alpha is using slope method. line perpendicular to y = 3/4x has 4/3 slope = tan 2*alpha..
stopping here <need to do some other work.. will try to come back; interesting question1>
2*alpha is angle between 3/4x line and y axis.. and figure yourself out
why tan alpha = r/yaxis distance(4)

Last edited:
[url=http://up.x333x.com][PLAIN]http://up.x333x.com/uploads/998eebdc16.jpg[/url][/PLAIN]

very easy
r=2

rootX said:
Do you trying to know why intersection is (16/8,12/5)?

Because, tangents to circle are of equal lengths, one of them is 4, so other also should be of length 4.. now just sqrt(x^2+(3/4x)^2) = 4 ..

and because radius is perp. to y-axis so center is that..

thinking of other questions now..

I think CN is vertical distance between Center C and x axis.
and p is the angle between the 3/4x line and x-axis and it is equal to the angle between vertical axis through circle center and radius line that touhes 3/4 x line.

once you got that equation, you can plug sinp p and cos p values using the right angle triangle between 3/4x line and x-axis

tan 2 alpha is using slope method. line perpendicular to y = 3/4x has 4/3 slope = tan 2*alpha..
stopping here <need to do some other work.. will try to come back; interesting question1>
2*alpha is angle between 3/4x line and y axis.. and figure yourself out
why tan alpha = r/yaxis distance(4)

Thanks so much for the help! Could you please explain again why tan 2a = 4/3?

Also, does anyone have any ideas for the second part (posted in my second post)?

Thanks

1. What is CN in problem solving?

CN stands for Conceptual Network and it refers to the interconnected relationships between concepts and ideas that are used in problem solving. It is a mental model that helps individuals understand and organize information in order to solve problems.

2. Why is understanding CN important in problem solving?

Understanding CN is important because it allows individuals to approach problems in a structured and organized manner. It helps to identify key concepts, relationships, and patterns that can lead to effective problem solving strategies.

3. How can I develop my CN skills?

CN skills can be developed through practice and exposure to different types of problems. It is important to actively engage in problem solving and reflect on the conceptual relationships involved. Additionally, seeking feedback and learning from others can also help improve CN skills.

4. Can CN be used in all types of problem solving?

Yes, CN can be used in all types of problem solving as it is a universal mental model. It can be applied to a wide range of problems, from simple to complex, and can be adapted to different contexts and disciplines.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using CN in problem solving?

While CN is a useful tool in problem solving, it is important to note that it is not a one-size-fits-all approach. Some problems may require different strategies and it is important to be flexible and adapt to the specific problem at hand. Additionally, CN may not work for everyone and individuals may have their own preferred problem solving methods.