Circuit Diagrams versus Logic Diagrams

In summary: Yes - but in the end someone has to implement them (and deal with the electronics involved).In summary, when designing circuits, it is not necessary to include resistors and power sources. Sometimes these are omitted for the sake of simplicity, while other times they are omitted because they are not relevant to the logic being discussed. There is no singular terminology for diagrams that are only concerned about the logic involved or diagrams where the voltage and resistance is accounted for.
Schfra
Why do we sometimes neglect resistors and power sources when we draw circuits and other times not?

Is there different terminology for diagrams that are only concerned about the logic involved and diagrams where the voltage and resistance is accounted for?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Schfra said:
Why do we sometimes neglect resistors and power sources when we draw circuits and other times not?

Is there different terminology for diagrams that are only concerned about the logic involved and diagrams where the voltage and resistance is accounted for?
Circuit diagrams are circuit diagrams and logic diagrams are logic diagrams. You can study the electronics involved in a logic diagram but generally it is not of any interest, else you would have started with a circuit diagram. Generally, when you draw a logic diagram with things like NAND gates you really don't care what the implementation methodology is, you just care about the logic.

Likes donpacino and Schfra
I guess I would need some hard evidence. Examples. Many times partial schematics are scribbled out omitting the obvious parts. That is not to say a proper published schematic is missing parts simply because it is assumed that whoever is looking at it will know they are supposed to be there.

phinds said:
Circuit diagrams are circuit diagrams and logic diagrams are logic diagrams. You can study the electronics involved in a logic diagram but generally it is not of any interest, else you would have started with a circuit diagram. Generally, when you draw a logic diagram with things like NAND gates you really don't care what the implementation methodology is, you just care about the logic.
If you’re designing a complex circuit, would you not start with logic diagram and then make the circuit diagram?

Schfra said:
If you’re designing a complex circuit, would you not start with logic diagram and then make the circuit diagram?
No, not if it's just a logic circuit. I used to design VERY complex logic circuits and I didn't give a hoot or a holler how the gates were implemented (actually I KNEW how they were implemented but it was irrelevant unless there were timing issues).

Schfra said:

Do you have example drawings of what you mean?

One possible take on the question ... many years ago, a programmable logic controller may have used something like this in IL (Instruction List).
Code:
LD I1
AND I2
OR I3
OUT Q1

which is the as this logic expressed in FBD (Function Block Diagram)
Logo_FBD.jpg

and as LD (Ladder Diagram).
Logo_LAD.jpg

Ladder diagram, substituted with the appropriate switch and relay coil symbols, constitutes a wiring diagram as well as expressing the logic involved.

It isn't necessary or desirable to include everything in a circuit diagram, indeed, without an appropriate level of abstraction an electrical schematic would become practically unreadable. The logic examples above were generated using Siemens Comfortsoft which was designed to program their Logo! series of intelligent relays. A user's understanding circuit operation would not be improved by including a component level drawing of a Logo! logic controller.

Attachments

• Logo_FBD.jpg
    Logo_FBD.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 829
  • Logo_LAD.jpg
    Logo_LAD.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 915
Likes krater
phinds said:
No, not if it's just a logic circuit. I used to design VERY complex logic circuits and I didn't give a hoot or a holler how the gates were implemented (actually I KNEW how they were implemented but it was irrelevant unless there were timing issues).
Yes - but in the end someone has to implement them (and deal with the electronics involved).

A former colleague of mine was an expert in this transformation. After the logic was finished and simulated (in VHDL), his job was to inspect the gate layout and make sure that the power was supplied to all gates, that the circuit ground was distributed in such a way that no spurious feedback would occur and so on. He was the one that converted successful theory into successful practice.

Asymptotic said:
Ladder diagram, substituted with the appropriate switch and relay coil symbols, constitutes a wiring diagram as well as expressing the logic involved.
If I could like this twice I would.

I integrate both systems into wiring/logic details... To explain, I show a conventional wiring diagram with all the value's etc or at least a key reference if it would clutter the diagram, where they terminate to a PLC it is just ID'd as it's part code. All logic maps, timing values, boolean states etc etc are supplied as separate sheets and like in the logic program shown above on the Logo, you can label/tag your inputs/outputs and other process boxes to whatever you wish to if you choose, as these programs are often unique and can get around control issues others may have struggled to overcome then giving too much info can work against you, I password protect my PLC's and only give enough info to show input and output tags, timer values and other key values that may be required for maintenance, if I supply the full logic details then I will Macro some of the more complex stages to protect my interests.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread closed briefly for Moderation...

Thread re-opened. Thanks for your patience. :smile:

1. What is the difference between a circuit diagram and a logic diagram?

A circuit diagram is a visual representation of the physical components and connections in an electrical circuit. It shows how the components are connected and the flow of electricity through the circuit. A logic diagram, on the other hand, is a schematic representation of the logical operations and relationships between input and output signals in a digital system.

2. Which one is used more frequently in electronics?

Circuit diagrams are used more frequently in electronics because they provide a detailed description of the physical components and their connections. This is useful for troubleshooting and repairing electronic devices.

3. Can you convert a circuit diagram into a logic diagram?

Yes, it is possible to convert a circuit diagram into a logic diagram. However, this conversion may not always be straightforward as some components in the circuit may have multiple functions or connections that are not explicitly shown in the circuit diagram.

4. When is a logic diagram more useful than a circuit diagram?

A logic diagram is more useful than a circuit diagram when designing and analyzing complex digital systems. It allows engineers to focus on the logical operations and relationships between inputs and outputs, rather than the physical components and connections.

5. Are there any tools or software available for creating circuit and logic diagrams?

Yes, there are many tools and software available for creating both circuit and logic diagrams. Some popular options include programs like AutoCAD, CircuitMaker, and LogicWorks. Additionally, there are online tools and apps that allow users to create diagrams quickly and easily.