1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circuit problem homework

1. Mar 30, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

http://i.imgur.com/ij4eHqM.png?1?5000

2. Relevant equations

KVL, KCL, Ohm's Law, I guess

3. The attempt at a solution

Tried node analysis but I get 4 equations in 5 variables, so no specific solution. I don't think the circuit can be simplified either. A friend suggested mesh analysis but I don't think that works here because we have loops but they aren't meshes. I'd like just a hint in the right direction please, perhaps what approach I should try, I'd still like to do most of it myself. Thanks :)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2013 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Consider that no current can flow across the open circuit where Vo is measured. Thus you have a current divider situation for the two branches, and you should be able to determine the currents and thus the individual potentials for Va and Vb:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=57295&stc=1&d=1364705207.gif

Attached Files:

4. Mar 31, 2013 #3
    Thank you, I managed to get the right answer with that help. Physically, what happens in terms of the resistors at the open terminals + and - of v0 once the current is turned on?

I imagine that initially (for a brief amount of time) we have current flowing one-way into both open terminals, where charge builds up until the terminals reach the same potential as at Va and Vb, respectively. At that point current stops flowing, so there's no drop across the terminal resistors (2k and 4k) and the terminal potentials are simply equal to Va and Vb? Is this right?

5. Mar 31, 2013 #4

gneill

Yes, that's it for 'real' components. Ideal components have no physical size, so the transient time would be infinitesimally short.

6. Mar 31, 2013 #5
    You're a champion, thanks for your help :)

7. Mar 31, 2013 #6
    Actually one more question; what would be the final potential inside each resistor in a realistic and ideal circuit? Are they just at the same potential as the connecting wire?

8. Mar 31, 2013 #7

gneill

Yup. Same potential. No current.

9. Mar 31, 2013 #8

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted