Circuit Problem with Resistors connected in parallel and series

In summary, a solution for finding I1 in a circuit with five resistors and a battery has been requested. The battery voltage is V = 12.0 V, and the resistors have values of R1 = 76.0 Ω, R2 = 149.0 Ω, R3 = 169.0 Ω, and R4 = 121.0 Ω. The value of RX is unknown, but it is known that I4, the current through R4, is zero. The equations for resistors in series and parallel are provided, and the attempt at a solution involves visualizing the circuit and breaking it into smaller parts. It is suggested to consider the potential across R4 and the
Souboro

Homework Statement

A circuit is constructed with five resistors and a battery as shown. The battery voltage is V = 12.0 V. The values for the resistors are: R1 = 76.0 Ω, R2 = 149.0 Ω, R3 = 169.0 Ω, and R4 = 121.0 Ω. The value for RX is unknown, but it is known that I4, the current that flows through resistor R4, is zero.

Find I1

Homework Equations

Resistors in Series
Req = R1 + R2
Veq = V1 + V2
Ieq = I1 = I2

Resistors in Parallel
Req = (1/R1 + 1/R2)^-1
Veq = V1 = V2
Ieq = I1 + I2

V = IR

The Attempt at a Solution

I know this has been asked elsewhere, but I read the other threads and couldn't get anything that helped me from them. I think I'm just having trouble visualizing the problem, and breaking the circuits into parts. I guess I'm having a lot of trouble visualizing how the energy travels through the circuit.

I just can't picture it at all. I started by combining the circuits into R13, R4, and R2x. I'm guessing that for I4 to be zero, I14 has to equal I2. Ahh... If I can see this problem built once, I'm sure I could do it over and over again. Help please...

Attachments

• h9_bridge.png
    h9_bridge.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 440
Physics news on Phys.org
Souboro said:

Homework Statement

A circuit is constructed with five resistors and a battery as shown. The battery voltage is V = 12.0 V. The values for the resistors are: R1 = 76.0 Ω, R2 = 149.0 Ω, R3 = 169.0 Ω, and R4 = 121.0 Ω. The value for RX is unknown, but it is known that I4, the current that flows through resistor R4, is zero.

Find I1

Homework Equations

Resistors in Series
Req = R1 + R2
Veq = V1 + V2
Ieq = I1 = I2

Resistors in Parallel
Req = (1/R1 + 1/R2)^-1
Veq = V1 = V2
Ieq = I1 + I2

V = IR

The Attempt at a Solution

I know this has been asked elsewhere, but I read the other threads and couldn't get anything that helped me from them. I think I'm just having trouble visualizing the problem, and breaking the circuits into parts. I guess I'm having a lot of trouble visualizing how the energy travels through the circuit.

I just can't picture it at all. I started by combining the circuits into R13, R4, and R2x. I'm guessing that for I4 to be zero, I14 has to equal I2. Ahh... If I can see this problem built once, I'm sure I could do it over and over again. Help please...

How did you combine things? There are no series or parallel component opportunities in the circuit as drawn.

Hint: If I4 is zero, what does that tell you about the potential across R4, and thus the potentials of the nodes that R4 connects to?

FAQ: Circuit Problem with Resistors connected in parallel and series

1. How do I calculate the equivalent resistance of resistors connected in parallel?

The equivalent resistance of resistors connected in parallel can be calculated using the formula 1/Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... + 1/Rn, where Req is the equivalent resistance and R1, R2, ... Rn are the individual resistances. You can also use the shortcut formula Req = R1*R2*...*Rn / (R1 + R2 + ... + Rn).

2. Can resistors connected in series have different values?

Yes, resistors connected in series can have different values. In series connection, the total resistance is equal to the sum of individual resistances.

3. How does the current flow in resistors connected in parallel?

In resistors connected in parallel, the current splits into multiple paths. The amount of current flowing through each resistor is inversely proportional to its resistance value. This means that the resistor with the least resistance will have the highest current flowing through it.

4. What happens to the total resistance when resistors are connected in series?

When resistors are connected in series, the total resistance increases. This is because the current has to pass through each resistor, making it harder for the current to flow.

5. How do I calculate the total current in a circuit with parallel resistors?

The total current in a circuit with parallel resistors can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that I = V/R, where I is the current, V is the voltage, and R is the resistance. You can also use the formula Itotal = I1 + I2 + ... + In, where Itotal is the total current and I1, I2, ... In are the individual currents flowing through each resistor.

Back