Circuit Problems : Finding Current and Voltage

In summary, the given circuit consists of a 72V source, a 2000Ω resistor, and a "0.5V," source in a loop. The task is to find the voltage, V, which should fall within the range of 78v - 90v. Using KVL and Ohm's Law, the solution is derived to be V,=42v. However, upon examination, it is discovered that there is an extra "-V," term in the equation, leading to the realization that the 0.5V source is not included in the first loop. After correcting this, the correct solution is found to be V,=42v.
gatsbycollege

Homework Statement

The Circuit is given as shown in the figure
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/8361/circuitsl.jpg

find V,
V, = ranging from 78v - 90v

Homework Equations

KVL
E=E1+E2+E3...+En
KCL
I=I1=I2
Ohms Law
V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

i used KVL
72v-2000ohms(i)-0.5V,-V,=0
then i have this equation
72v=1.5V, +2000i (1)

in the 2nd resistor with 3000ohms
i derived the equation
V,=(2I)(3000ohms)
so V,=6000ohmsi (2)

substitution in eq (2) and (1)

i=0.007A

then going back to eq (2)
V,=42v <---- but this is not correct by looking at the range my prof gave me..
so i think i missed something here or my whole idea is not correct..
btw i don't really know if that 2i is in series with the resistor 3000ohms

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
gatsbycollege said:

The Attempt at a Solution

i used KVL
72v-2000ohms(i)-0.5V,-V,=0

Where does the extra "-V," come from at the end? When I follow a KVL path around the first loop I go through the 72V source, the 2000Ω resistor, then the "0.5V," source and then back to the beginning via path AB.

gneill said:
Where does the extra "-V," come from at the end? When I follow a KVL path around the first loop I go through the 72V source, the 2000Ω resistor, then the "0.5V," source and then back to the beginning via path AB.

whew that solve my problem.. that "-V," is not included XD

1. What is the difference between current and voltage?

Current is the flow of electric charge through a conductor, while voltage is the potential difference that drives this flow. In simpler terms, current is the amount of electricity flowing through a circuit, while voltage is the force that drives this flow.

2. How do I calculate current in a circuit?

To calculate current, you can use Ohm's law, which states that current (I) equals voltage (V) divided by resistance (R). This can be written as I = V/R. You can also use Kirchhoff's current law, which states that the sum of currents entering a junction in a circuit equals the sum of currents leaving the junction.

3. How do I calculate voltage in a circuit?

To calculate voltage, you can use Ohm's law, which states that voltage (V) equals current (I) multiplied by resistance (R). This can be written as V = I x R. You can also use Kirchhoff's voltage law, which states that the sum of voltage drops in a closed loop in a circuit equals the sum of voltage sources.

4. What is the role of resistance in a circuit?

Resistance is the measure of how difficult it is for current to flow through a circuit. It is determined by the material, length, and cross-sectional area of the conductor. Resistance can be useful in controlling the amount of current flowing through a circuit and can be used to protect components from too much current.

5. What are some common circuit problems and how do I solve them?

Some common circuit problems include open circuits, short circuits, and incorrect connections. To solve these problems, you can use a multimeter to check for continuity and resistance, ensure all connections are secure, and troubleshoot specific components to identify and fix the issue. It is also important to double-check all connections and follow circuit diagrams carefully to prevent these problems from occurring.