Solving a Superposition Circuit Question: Finding Ia without a Voltage Source

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a circuit using superposition and Kirchoff's and Ohm's laws. It is possible to solve the circuit using either method, and the conversation provides equations and unknowns for solving the circuit.
andyintranzit
http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/2070/circuit1vf1.gif

i drew this from a superposition question.. the voltage source is shorted out.

what on Earth could Ia be if there's no voltage source?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
wow I am really stupid. you have to solve for only one voltage/current source at a time, right?

just out of interest though... is it possible to solve that?

andyintranzit said:
wow I am really stupid. you have to solve for only one voltage/current source at a time, right?

just out of interest though... is it possible to solve that?
Of course you can solve it by using superposition. Otherwise, you can solve it using Kirchoff's and Ohm's laws.
Call V1 the voltage between resistors 3 and 5 ohm and V2 the voltage between 5 and 2 ohm. Call ib the current in the 3 ohm resistor and ic in the 2 ohm. You have:
ib = -V1/3
ic = V2/2
ia = (V1 - V2)/5
ib = ia + 6
ic = ia + 8
You have 5 independent equations in 5 unknowns. You can solve it for the unknowns.

1. What is a circuit?

A circuit is a closed loop or path through which electric current flows. It consists of various components, such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors, connected together by conductive wires.

2. What is Kirchhoff's voltage law?

Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL) states that the sum of all voltages around a closed loop in a circuit must equal zero. This law is based on the principle of conservation of energy and is used to analyze and solve circuits.

3. How do you calculate the total resistance of a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the total resistance is equal to the sum of all individual resistances. This can be calculated by using the formula R(total) = R1 + R2 + R3 + ..., where R1, R2, R3, etc. are the resistances of each component in the circuit.

4. What is the difference between a parallel and series circuit?

In a series circuit, the components are connected in a single loop, whereas in a parallel circuit, the components are connected in multiple branches. This means that in a series circuit, the same current flows through each component, while in a parallel circuit, the current is divided among the different branches.

5. Can you explain Ohm's law?

Ohm's law states that the current through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage across it, and inversely proportional to its resistance. This can be expressed as the formula I = V/R, where I is the current in amperes, V is the voltage in volts, and R is the resistance in ohms.