Circuit with 2 voltage sources and 1 current source

In summary, to calculate the total current in a circuit with 2 voltage sources and 1 current source, Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) can be used by applying it at each node in the circuit. Ohm's Law can also be applied in a circuit with multiple voltage and current sources, but the equivalent resistance of the circuit must be used. The voltage sources in a circuit determine the direction and magnitude of the current flow and additional sources can be added as long as they are connected properly. To calculate power dissipation in a circuit with multiple sources, the power formula P = VI can be used, taking into account both the voltage and current sources.
ichabodgrant
problem3_0.png

Here is the circuit. I have to find the voltage across each resistor and the current i1 and i2.
My attempts are the following:

By KCL,
i2 + i1 = 0.1 A

By KVL,
3 - 5 - 100i1 + 1100i2 = 0

∴ i1 = 0.09 A, i2 = 0.01A
∴ Voltage across 100Ω resistor = 0.09 × 100 = 9 V, voltage across 1100Ω resistor = 0.01 × 1100 = 11 V

Are there any mistakes?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Correct.

Thank you very much.

1. How do I calculate the total current in a circuit with 2 voltage sources and 1 current source?

In order to calculate the total current in a circuit with 2 voltage sources and 1 current source, you will need to use Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL). This law states that the sum of all currents entering a node must equal the sum of all currents leaving that same node. By applying KCL at each node in the circuit, you can determine the total current in the circuit.

2. Can I use Ohm's Law in a circuit with multiple voltage and current sources?

Yes, Ohm's Law can still be applied in a circuit with multiple voltage and current sources. However, you will need to use the equivalent resistance of the circuit instead of individual resistances when calculating the total current or voltage.

3. How do the voltage sources affect the current in the circuit?

The voltage sources in a circuit will determine the direction and magnitude of the current flow. If the voltage sources are in series, their voltages will add up and create a larger potential difference, resulting in a higher current. If the voltage sources are in parallel, their voltages will be equal and the current will split between them.

4. Can I add additional voltage or current sources to this circuit?

Yes, you can add additional voltage or current sources to this circuit as long as they are connected in the appropriate direction and polarity. However, it is important to note that too many sources may overload the circuit and cause damage.

5. How do I calculate the power dissipation in a circuit with multiple sources?

In order to calculate the power dissipation in a circuit with multiple sources, you will need to use the power formula P = VI. This formula takes into account both the voltage and current sources to determine the total power dissipated in the circuit. You can also calculate the power dissipation for individual components by using the appropriate voltage and current values for each component.