Circuits: Show that Power is Conserved

In summary, the conservation of power is satisfied in this circuit by using the constraint of the ideal voltage source to determine the voltage and current across the resistor, and then using Kirchhoff's Current Law and Ohm's Law to find the power sourced or sunk by each component. The Thevenin and Norton equivalent circuits can also be used to determine the resulting voltage and current in the circuit.
Saladsamurai

Homework Statement

Show that conservation of power is satisfied:

Screenshot2011-02-02at125629AM.png

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

I am a little lost on this one. It should be straightforward, but I don't know what the approach is. Any thoughts on what technique I use to start this? I know that some of the current from the ideal source flows through the resistor and some through the voltage source (or sink?), but I am not sure how to determine how much?

Is it true to say that since the voltage sink (I am pretty sure it is a sink due to polarities of resistor and voltage element) that they must share voltage? I think that is the hint my professor gave, but I thought that voltage divides across resistors in parallel and not necessarily a resistor and generic sink in parallel.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The voltage across the resistor and current source is constrained by the voltage supply. So you can determine the current through the resistor. That should tell you where the rest of the current from the 5A source must go. You've then got voltages and currents for all components. Find the power sourced or sunk by each.

gneill said:
The voltage across the resistor and current source is constrained by the voltage supply. So you can determine the current through the resistor. That should tell you where the rest of the current from the 5A source must go. You've then got voltages and currents for all components. Find the power sourced or sunk by each.

Hello gneill :smile: Unfortunately I do not follow your reply. I have a 10 V source, a 5 Ω resistor (sink), and a 5A source. I do not know how to find the current through the resistor? I am assuming I need to use Ohms Law, but I don't know the voltage drop across the resistor? I mean I know that it is 10 V, but I don't understand why? How can I systematically compute the the drop across the resistor?

And has for the current source, I really don't know how to get a voltage out of that?

Thanks for your patience :redface: I am really awful at circuits.

The ideal voltage source will produce or sink any amount of current required in order to keep its voltage constant. Similarly, the ideal current supply will produce any amount of voltage required in order to keep its current constant.

The voltage drop across the resistor is constrained to be 10V by the 10V supply. It cannot be anything else. Similarly, the voltage across the current supply *must* be 10V, it too cannot be anything else.

If you have the voltage across the resistor then you know what the current through the resistor *must* be.

gneill said:
The ideal voltage source will produce or sink any amount of current required in order to keep its voltage constant. Similarly, the ideal current supply will produce any amount of voltage required in order to keep its current constant.

The voltage drop across the resistor is constrained to be 10V by the 10V supply. It cannot be anything else. Similarly, the voltage across the current supply *must* be 10V, it too cannot be anything else.

If you have the voltage across the resistor then you know what the current through the resistor *must* be.

I still don't get it ... I know, I know, I'm pretty slow. But let's take a detour for a moment: It seems as though I could take that current source parallel with that resistor and call it a Norton equivalent of some other imaginary circuit. As such, it has a current value of INo = 5A and a resistance of RNo = 5Ω. Hence, it can be replaced by a Thevenin equivalent voltage in series with a Thevenin resistance, where RTH = 5Ω and VTH = INoRTH = 10V.

Screenshot2011-02-02at45356PM.png

But there is something off about this. I am not sure what though. I still can't see how to find the powers...

The Thevenin voltage would be 5A * 5Ω = 25V .

Edit: So what would be the resulting current in the circuit?

gneill said:
The Thevenin voltage would be 5A * 5Ω = 25V .

Haha .. sometimes I know how to multiply :redface:

gneill said:
Edit: So what would be the resulting current in the circuit?

Using KCL: 10V - 25V + Ickt*5Ω = 0 → Ickt = 3A.

Yay! So I can find the voltage across the resistor and show that conservation of energy is satisfied. But how do I show the power of the 10V and 25V elements? Is it possible? I know that cons of energy is good enough, but ...

Careful. That Thevenin resistance is not your original resistor in the same place in the circuit. It may have the same value (5Ω) but it's not the same resistor!

You already know what the current must be in the original 5Ω resistor. It *must* have 10V across it. It's 5Ω. So the current *must* be...

gneill said:
Careful. That Thevenin resistance is not your original resistor in the same place in the circuit. It may have the same value (5Ω) but it's not the same resistor!

You already know what the current must be in the original 5Ω resistor. It *must* have 10V across it. It's 5Ω. So the current *must* be...

Doh! You lost me! What current are you asking about? For the circuit in the figure of post #5? Or something else?

Saladsamurai said:
Doh! You lost me! What current are you asking about? For the circuit in the figure of post #5? Or something else?

The 5Ω resistor in post #1 is not the same as your 5Ω resistor in post #5. You cannot know if they will end up carrying the same current (in fact, they certainly will not in this case!).

gneill said:
The 5Ω resistor in post #1 is not the same as your 5Ω resistor in post #5. You cannot know if they will end up carrying the same current (in fact, they certainly will not in this case!).

Ok ... but I calculated the current in the Thevenin resistor correctly, right? It's 3A. Were you asking me about the orginal circuit's current in the original 5Ω resistor?

Saladsamurai said:
Ok ... but I calculated the current in the Thevenin resistor correctly, right? It's 3A. Were you asking me about the orginal circuit's current in the original 5Ω resistor?

Yup. The current you've just calculated (3A) is the current that will be pushed through the 10V supply (it's the only component left unchanged from the original circuit when you performed the Thevenin transformation).

1. What is the concept of conservation of power in circuits?

Conservation of power in circuits refers to the principle that the total amount of power in a closed circuit remains constant. This means that the power entering the circuit must be equal to the power leaving the circuit, taking into account any losses due to resistance.

2. How is power calculated in a circuit?

Power in a circuit is calculated by multiplying the voltage (in volts) by the current (in amps). This can be represented by the equation P = VI, where P is power, V is voltage, and I is current.

3. Why is power conservation important in circuits?

Power conservation is important in circuits because it ensures that the circuit is functioning efficiently and that energy is not being wasted. It also allows for the proper functioning of devices and prevents damage from excessive power.

4. What factors can affect power conservation in circuits?

Several factors can affect power conservation in circuits, such as resistance, which can cause power losses, and inductance and capacitance, which can store and release energy. Additionally, the type and quality of components used in the circuit can also impact power conservation.

5. Are there any exceptions to the conservation of power in circuits?

In ideal conditions, power is always conserved in circuits. However, in real-world scenarios, there can be some exceptions, such as power losses due to resistance or when energy is intentionally dissipated, for example, in a resistor used as a heating element.