Coefficient of Friction and Forces

In summary, the question asks for the coefficient of friction (μ) between the bed and the box on a flatbed tractor trailer based on the given information of the truck's forward distance, velocity, and the box's backward distance. Formulas related to forces (FF = μFN) and acceleration (F = m*a) are discussed, with the reminder that finding acceleration can help solve for mass. The conversation also suggests using kinematic equations to solve for the missing variables.
pippintook
A flatbed tractor trailer takes off from a stop sign on a level road. If a box on the back slides back 10 meters while the truck goes forward 50 meters and attains a speed of 15 m/s, what is the coefficient of friction (μ) between the bed and the box? Assume the bed to be at least 10 meters long.

FF= μFN
FN= mg

I don't know if those are the right formulas, specifically because no mass is given. I just don't know how to find the forces without acceleration; is there a formula for that? If these are the right formulas, how do I find the mass or FN? I chose these formulas because FF is the forward force, and it had μ in the equation. Help!

Physics news on Phys.org
That's some of them.

There is also F = m*a.

And that a would be really useful to know wouldn't it?

You know the final velocity and you know the distance, so you should be able to figure the "a" shouldn't you?

Wow. Ok, so I've found "a", but still don't know how to get FN, since I don't have the mass or force. I know there's some really obvious formula, but I CANNOT remember it.

pippintook said:
Wow. Ok, so I've found "a", but still don't know how to get FN, since I don't have the mass or force. I know there's some really obvious formula, but I CANNOT remember it.

Maybe write out your equations and your mass will cancel out?

If you are looking for kinematic equations:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=905663&postcount=2

Last edited:

What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the resistance between two surfaces when one surface moves over the other. It is represented by the symbol µ and is a dimensionless quantity.

How is the coefficient of friction calculated?

The coefficient of friction is calculated by dividing the force required to move an object over a surface by the weight of the object. This ratio is then used to determine the amount of friction between the two surfaces.

What factors affect the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction can be affected by a number of factors, such as the types of materials in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, and the amount of force pushing the two surfaces together.

What is the relationship between coefficient of friction and forces?

The coefficient of friction is directly related to the amount of force needed to overcome friction between two surfaces. As the coefficient of friction increases, the force required to move an object also increases.

Why is coefficient of friction important in everyday life?

Coefficient of friction plays a crucial role in our daily lives, as it helps us understand how objects interact with each other. It is used in designing and engineering various products, such as tires, brakes, and sports equipment, to ensure their efficiency and safety.