Coefficient of Friction: Exceeding the Limits?

In summary: in summary, if the board and object are both coated with sandpaper, the object will slide down the board when the board is tilted up to an angle theta.
gandharva_23

Homework Statement

Can coefficient of friction between any 2 surfaces be greater than 1 ? If not why ?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you think? Do you know how to do the simple experiment of tilting up a board to an angle theta until an object on the board starts to slide? What do you think would happen if both the board and the object were coated with sandpaper?

if both the board and the object are coated with a sand paper then the object would slide when the board makes greater angle with the forizontal . how can i define coefficient of friction between 2 surfaces ?

gandharva_23 said:
if both the board and the object are coated with a sand paper then the object would slide when the board makes greater angle with the forizontal . how can i define coefficient of friction between 2 surfaces ?

Not exactly what I was looking for. Draw a free body diagram of an object sitting on the board as the board is tilted up to some angle theta. Write the equation for the force summation along a line that is parallel to the board. At some theta as you tilt the board op, the object will break loose and start sliding down the board. That point is where the static coefficient of friction no longer supplies enough force back up the board (parallel to the board) in order to keep the object from slipping.

There is a surprisingly simple way to relate this critical angle theta to the static coefficient of friction [tex]\mu_S[/tex] Can you derive it, or have you seen it in your textbook?

Once you understand this relationship, and picture a high-mu setup like the board and object are both coated with sandpaper (as opposed to something slippery), then you should be able to answer your original question about whether mu can be over 1.

There is a surprisingly simple way to relate this critical angle theta to the static coefficient of friction LaTeX graphic is being generated. Reload this page in a moment. Can you derive it, or have you seen it in your textbook?

you mean tan (theta) = mu relation ? ok i think i got it ... theta can be between 45 to 90 for high mu surfaces . that implies mu will be greater than 1 . am i right now ? How can i define coefficient of friction between 2 surfaces ?

gandharva_23 said:
you mean tan (theta) = mu relation ? ok i think i got it ... theta can be between 45 to 90 for high mu surfaces . that implies mu will be greater than 1 . am i right now ?

Yes, that is exactly right.

gandharva_23 said:
How can i define coefficient of friction between 2 surfaces ?

I'm not sure what you mean by that. The coefficient of friction is always associated with a pair of surfaces, since it wouldn't make sense for a single surface to have a mu value alone. You can "define" the mu for a pair of surfaces just as you have done, with the mu = tan(theta) expression.

thank you ......

Related to Coefficient of Friction: Exceeding the Limits?

1. What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the amount of resistance between two surfaces when they are in contact with each other. It is a dimensionless quantity that represents the ratio of the force required to move an object over a surface to the force pressing the two surfaces together.

2. How is the coefficient of friction calculated?

The coefficient of friction is calculated by dividing the force required to move an object over a surface by the force pressing the two surfaces together. This can be done using a friction force sensor and a weight scale, or by measuring the angle at which an object starts to slide down a ramp.

3. What factors can affect the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction can be affected by a variety of factors, including the type of materials in contact, the roughness or smoothness of the surfaces, the presence of lubricants or contaminants, and the temperature and humidity of the environment. Additionally, the coefficient of friction can vary depending on the direction of motion and the amount of pressure applied between the two surfaces.

4. What does it mean when the coefficient of friction exceeds the limits?

When the coefficient of friction exceeds the limits, it means that the amount of resistance between two surfaces is higher than what is considered normal for those materials. This can result in increased wear and tear on the surfaces, reduced efficiency of machines or equipment, and potentially dangerous situations where the surfaces may become too difficult to move or control.

5. How can the coefficient of friction be reduced when it exceeds the limits?

There are several ways to reduce the coefficient of friction when it exceeds the limits. One approach is to use lubricants or coatings on the surfaces to reduce the amount of friction between them. Another method is to change the materials of the surfaces to ones that have a lower coefficient of friction. Additionally, adjusting the pressure or temperature of the environment can also help to decrease the coefficient of friction.