Coil placed in a time-varying magnetic field

In summary, a coil with 3.75cm radius and 500 turns is placed in a changing magnetic field of B = (1.20 x 10-2 T/s)t + (2.70 x 10-5x4)t4. The coil is connected to a 610-Ω resistor and its plane is perpendicular to the magnetic field. Using the equations ε = N d/dt(BA) and I = ε/R, the induced current in the resistor at time t0 = 5.50s is calculated to be 1.16 x 10-4. However, there may be an error in the calculation due to confusion about the initial and final time.
PKay

Homework Statement

A coil 3.75cm radius, containing 500 turns, is placed in a uniform magnetic field that varies with time according to B = (1.20 x 10-2 T/s)t + (2.70 x 10-5x4)t4. The coil is connected to a 610-Ω resistor, and its plane is perpendicular to the magnetic field. You can ignore the resistance of the coil. What is the current in the resistor at time t0 = 5.50s ?

Homework Equations

ε = N d/dt(BA)
I = ε/R

The Attempt at a Solution

First I looked for the emf using the first equation and when I put it into mastering physics, I got it right (0.0265 +0.000265 t3. Then, I used the second equation to get the induced current. I plugged 5.50s into the emf equation and then divided by R. I got 1.16 x 10-4. I can't figure out why it's saying my answer is wrong. I also put in 1.15 x 10-4 also just in case masteringphysics likes just truncating the answer. However, that was also wrong. Does it have something to do with t being the initial time and not the final time? If so, I'm not really sure how to proceed from there.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi PKay. I'm just wondering what is x in your equation?

Assuming the second term in B is 2.7e-5 t^4 I don't get 0.000265 t^3 for the second term in the emf.

1. How does a coil placed in a time-varying magnetic field produce electricity?

When a coil is placed in a time-varying magnetic field, the changing magnetic flux through the coil induces an electric current. This is known as electromagnetic induction and is described by Faraday's law of induction.

2. What is the purpose of a coil in a time-varying magnetic field?

The purpose of a coil in a time-varying magnetic field is to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy through electromagnetic induction. This is the basic principle behind generators and electric motors.

3. How does the frequency of the magnetic field affect the induced current in the coil?

The frequency of the magnetic field affects the induced current in the coil by changing the rate at which the magnetic flux through the coil changes. This, in turn, affects the magnitude of the induced current, with higher frequencies producing a larger current.

4. What factors affect the strength of the induced current in a coil placed in a time-varying magnetic field?

The strength of the induced current in a coil depends on several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the number of turns in the coil, the size and shape of the coil, and the frequency of the magnetic field.

5. What are some real-world applications of a coil placed in a time-varying magnetic field?

Coils placed in time-varying magnetic fields are used in a variety of applications, including power generation, electric motors, transformers, and wireless charging. They are also used in scientific research, such as in magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines.