Collapsing sun, new average rotation

In summary, the conversation discusses the scenario where the sun collapses to the size of the Earth, with a diameter that is approximately 1/100 of its original size. The current average rotation of the sun is 30 days and the question is posed on what the new rotational period would be. The discussion also mentions the potential use of a conservation law, but notes that assumptions about the collapse would need to be made.
physics123456

Homework Statement

the sun collapses to the size of the Earth (approximately 1/100 the original diameter), The current average rotation of the sun is approximately 30 days.

Homework Equations

what would be the new rotational period (time to spin once)?

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that in 30 days, the sun has to travel a distance of 2pi. But I don't understand how that would change if the sun had a smaller diameter...that's where I am confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
physics123456 said:

Homework Statement

the sun collapses to the size of the Earth (approximately 1/100 the original diameter), The current average rotation of the sun is approximately 30 days.

Homework Equations

what would be the new rotational period (time to spin once)?

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that in 30 days, the sun has to travel a distance of 2pi. But I don't understand how that would change if the sun had a smaller diameter...that's where I am confused.
What conservation law might be useful? (You'll need to make some assumption about the way it collapses, e.g. that every part of it is it one hundredth of its previous radius.)

1. What is a collapsing sun?

A collapsing sun refers to the process by which a star, specifically a sun-like star, runs out of fuel and begins to collapse under its own gravitational force.

2. How does a sun collapse?

A sun collapses when it has exhausted all of its hydrogen fuel, which is the main source of energy that keeps it stable and prevents it from collapsing. As the fuel runs out, the sun's core starts to shrink, causing the outer layers to collapse inwards.

3. What is the average rotation of a collapsing sun?

The average rotation of a collapsing sun can vary depending on its size and composition. However, as the star collapses, it will rotate faster due to the conservation of angular momentum.

4. Will Earth be affected by a collapsing sun?

If our sun were to collapse, it would have a significant impact on Earth and all other planets in the solar system. The collapse could lead to changes in the sun's radiation and magnetic fields, potentially affecting our climate and weather patterns.

5. Can a collapsing sun become a black hole?

Yes, a collapsing sun can potentially become a black hole if it is massive enough. When a star's core collapses, it can form a singularity, a point of infinite density, which is the defining characteristic of a black hole.