Collection of Science Jokes P2

In summary: Usually it's been commentated as being 'real'. Actually the joke dates back to the 30's and whether it's real or not cannot be said anymore.
  • #2,066
Reading the link from the previous post, saw this T-shirt for sale:

scienceshirt-prev_2048x2048.png

• Haha
Likes collinsmark, BillTre, Ibix and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,068
1612110127782.png

Likes 256bits
  • #2,069
1612197166603.png

Likes David Lewis, Klystron, jack action and 1 other person
  • #2,070
  • #2,071
DaveC426913 said:
I don't get it. :sorry:
I am always surprised what archaeologists read from sparse findings. They often create an entire story about what ancient people adored, ate, valued and so on. It's like writing War and Peace from thin air, correction some shards.

It is so completely different from what we accept here as evidence.

Likes DaveC426913
  • #2,072
fresh_42 said:
There is another joke which became viral in the 90's with the internet getting more and more popular.

Americans: "Please divert your course 15 degrees to the North to avoid a collision."
Canadians: "Recommend you divert YOUR course 15 degrees to the South to avoid a collision."
Americans: "This is the captain of a US Navy ship. I say again, divert YOUR course."
Canadians: "No, I say again, you divert YOUR course."
Americans: "THIS IS THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER USS ABRAHAM LINCOLN, THE SECOND LARGEST SHIP IN THE UNITED STATES' ATLANTIC FLEET. WE ARE ACCOMPANIED BY THREE DESTROYERS, THREE CRUISERS AND NUMEROUS SUPPORT VESSELS. I DEMAND THAT YOU CHANGE YOUR COURSE 15 DEGREES NORTH. THAT'S ONE-FIVE DEGREES NORTH, OR COUNTER MEASURES WILL BE UNDERTAKEN TO ENSURE THE SAFETY OF THIS SHIP."
Canadians: "This is a lighthouse. Your call."

Usually it's been commentated as being 'real'. Actually the joke dates back to the 30's and whether it's real or not cannot be said anymore. Someone once replied to an anecdote I told him: "I doubt it's true. However, the point is: It could be true."
This is exactly what happens with the Americans vs the Canadians accept I think they would say, “THIS IS THE USS GEORGE WASHING MACHINE, THE FIRST SHIP MADE IN THE USA. THE MADE IN CHINA STICKER ON THE SIDE OF THE SHIP WAS ALSO MADE IN THE USA.” lol.

• #2,073
DrGreg said:
I wonder if the cartoonist was
  • correctly thinking of air resistance, or
  • incorrectly thinking that all objects fall vertically downwards regardless of initial horizontal velocity?
Maybe van is accelerating.

• #2,074
Hemant said:
Maybe van is accelerating.
Nope. The water is leveled.

• #2,075
jack action said:
Nope. The water is leveled.
I too thought about that but it makes more sense than ignoring inertia.

• #2,076
fresh_42 said:
Hidden assumptions: a) the hair is not otherwise fixed and b) water.
And, of course, the assumption that the other side does not depict a black sheep.

• #2,077
I think it is perspective.
He is jumping over the wall into the lake ( calm ocean, sea, .. ), so it would look from the camera angle, as if he is behind the vehicle, when in fact e is beside it.

• #2,078
256bits said:
I think it is perspective.
He is jumping over the wall into the lake ( calm ocean, sea, .. ), so it would look from the camera angle, as if he is behind the vehicle, when in fact e is beside it.
So it is Earth moving the pool while he is in the air?

• #2,079
fresh_42 said:
So it is Earth moving the pool while he is in the air?
From a certain point of view, yes.
From the camera guy, the car is moving the pool.
One has to admit, the artist is bad at perspective.

Bird's view:

1612356588277.png

• #2,080
_nc_ohc=UKOveizoMl4AX88-WMV&_nc_ht=scontent-dus1-1.jpg

• Haha
Likes nuuskur, Borg, Klystron and 1 other person
  • #2,081
@256bits: The person is in front of the board which is connected to the roof.

• #2,082
mfb said:
@256bits: The person is in front of the board which is connected to the roof.
the light blue is the position of the pool when he jumps.
The darker blue is the position of the pool moved forward when he is over the sea.
The guy could be moving forward with the same velocity as the pool, or maybe not due to friction, which is where I drew him.

It really is a perspective illusion.
http://www.yorku.ca/eye/perspect.htm
1612361447054.png

• #2,083
Screen Shot 2021-02-03 at 2.58.28 PM.png

Guessing (but not sure) this will be rejected as some cultural cancellation of my culture of humor.

• Haha
Likes collinsmark, Borg and phinds
  • #2,084
You really need to pay attention to detail to figure this one out. If you look closely, you'll see that the wheels on both the trailer and the car have not turned. It seems that the trailer has not moved at all from frame to frame.

So the mystery is how the diver appears to have traversed so far backwards between frames. The truth is that he didn't. The next clue is the direction that the girls hair is being blown in. Also, since the car is not moving, the streamlines that appear to depict the motion of the car, must instead be in fact wind.

The solution is that the bottom frame represents an earlier time than the top one. The diver actually had been flying through the air, propelled by a strong wind, and happened to land on the diving board.

This is the only consistent interpretation.

So why the remark about ignoring the laws of physics? That remains a mystery.

• #2,085
256bits said:
the light blue is the position of the pool when he jumps.
The darker blue is the position of the pool moved forward when he is over the sea.
The guy could be moving forward with the same velocity as the pool, or maybe not due to friction, which is where I drew him.
He cannot be behind the car. Check the image. He is in front of a part that's clearly attached to the car.

Likes 256bits
  • #2,086
mfb said:
He cannot be behind the car. Check the image. He is in front of a part that's clearly attached to the car.
I still see a wall, the sea on the other side of the wall, and him jumping into the sea.
But where is the joke in that.
The artist didn't draw it conveniently from my viewpoint.

1612417372791.png

• #2,087
His lower legs and feet are thin but visible in front of the board (on the board). That board also bends down in the first panel and vibrates once he left it in the second panel.

• #2,088
I think we are all forgetting that the picture we have been discussing comes from Cartoon World where the laws of physics differ from the laws in our own universe.

In Cartoon World you can run off the edge of a cliff, and you won't start to fall until you look down. And when you hit the ground below, you'll generate a big cloud of dust but you won't be injured.

(And in Cartoon World, a dog can use its small tail as a helicopter blade, provided there is an adequate supply of medals.)

• Haha
Likes Klystron and BillTre
  • #2,089
It's annoying when science-based organizations disagree strongly w/ each other. What do you call it when they are the same organization?
1612479093056.png

On the other hand, I SERIOUSLY doubt that the CDC said "no one" is wearing masks.

• Love
Likes EHope
  • #2,090
phinds said:
It's annoying when science-based organizations disagree strongly w/ each other. What do you call it when they are the same organization?
Self-contradictory.
Or perhaps hypocritical (depending on intent).

• Informative
Likes EHope and Klystron
  • #2,091
phinds said:
I don't know, but I know the CDC is not an example. It's possible to misquote the CDC (or any other organization), of course.
Everything is possible if you misquote things. - Albert Einstein

Likes Klystron and DrGreg
  • #2,092
phinds said:
The term internecine fits; often seen in the, possibly redundant, phrase 'internecine warfare'.

• #2,093
Three months after Nasrudin married his new wife, she gave birth to a baby girl.
“Now, I’m no expert or anything,” said Nasrudin, “and please don’t take this the wrong way-but tell me this: Doesn’t it take nine months for a woman to go from child conception to childbirth?”
“You men are all alike,” she replied, “so ignorant of womanly matters. Tell me something: how long have I been married to you?”
“Three months,” replied Nasrudin.
“And how long have you been married to me?” she asked.
“And how long have I been pregnant?” she inquired.
“So,” she explained, “three plus three plus three equals nine. Are you satisfied now?”
“Yes,” replied Nasrudin, “please forgive me for bringing up the matter.”
From James Propp's Mathematical Enchantments blog.

• #2,094
Reminds me of this (from Prof. Fred Olness' web page)

1612548827809.png

• Haha
Likes Keith_McClary, Klystron, BillTre and 4 others
  • #2,095
Why is a mathematician afraid of negative numbers?
He’ll stop at nothing to avoid them.

• Haha
Likes EHope, BillTre, jack action and 1 other person
  • #2,096
Why are trees always positive?

They can't have imaginary logs.

• Haha
Likes EHope, strangerep, jack action and 2 others
  • #2,098
mfb said:
How to publish a scientific comment in 123 easy steps

:oops:

1612890376932.png

• #2,100
mfb said:
The humor builds as the steps progress. Steps 102-105 appear relevant to posting comments in general.
102. Shorten your Comment by omitting noncritical words like “a,” “an,” and “the,” giving your Comment exotic foreign feel.
Even without word count limits, I sometimes eliminate articles and some pronouns in comments.
Revised first sentence in this post using Step 102:
Humor builds as steps progress.
Proving pithy prose provides plangent purpose. :cool:

Likes BillTre