Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Colleges that offer degrees in nuclear and particle physics

  1. Mar 15, 2006 #1
    Anyone know of any specific colleges that offer degrees in one or both? I havent seen many with degrees in Particle Physics. Thanks!
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2006 #2

    Graduate or undergrad? You generally don't get a specialized undergrad degree.
  4. Mar 18, 2006 #3
    Ok so what would my career path be if i wanted to be a nuclear and/or particle physicist? What Undergrad and Grad stuff. Maybe some high-school courses i should take in the next 2 years, etc. Thanks! :D
  5. Mar 18, 2006 #4
    You get an undergraduate degree in physics. You can specialize in nuclear or particle physics in graduate school, or perhaps with a few advanced courses as an undergraduate.
  6. Mar 18, 2006 #5


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

    I agree - undergraduate physics programs are fairly general - although when I studied physics, we had 'options' which meant taking speical elective physics courses in nuclear or astro- physics in addition to core physics courses.

    Certainly as a grad student one will take more specialized courses.

    I would imagine one has to look at universities which have accelerators, or arrangements with national labs (Fermilab, SLAC, Jefferson Lab(jlab)), which have accelerators.
  7. Mar 19, 2006 #6
    Thanks guys! I appreciate it, that really clarifies it for me, thanks! :D

    So what colleges offer good physics programs? And what colleges are good for graduate degrees? Thanks!
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook