Solve Collision Momentum: Find Speed of Pucks A & B

In summary, the conversation discusses a collision between two pucks on an air-hockey table, with one puck initially moving along the x-axis and the other at rest. After the collision, the two pucks fly apart with certain angles. The goal is to find the speed of each puck after the collision. The equations used are the conservation of momentum in the x and y directions, with the masses and initial velocities of the pucks given. However, there seems to be confusion in solving for the final speeds.
neoncrazy101

Homework Statement

The drawing shows a collision between two pucks on an air-hockey table. Puck A has a mass of 0.0180 kg and is moving along the x-axis with a velocity of +7.71 m/s. It makes a collision with puck B, which has a mass of 0.0360 kg and is initially at rest. The collision is not head-on. After the collision, the two pucks fly apart with the angles shown in the drawing. Find the speed of (a) puck A and (b) puck B.
http://edugen.wileyplus.com/edugen/courses/crs2216/art/qb/qu/c07/ch07p_30.gif

Homework Equations

m1vf1x+m2vf2x = m1vo1+m2vo2

0 = Mf1V1sin(65) - M2Vf2sin(37)

M1 = .0180
M2 = .0360
Vo1 = 7.71
Vo0 = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

.018(v)+.036(v) = .018(7.71)
.054v = .13878
v = 2.57. (Terribly wrong)

.018(Vf1)sin(65) - .036(Vf2)sin(37)

My problem is I'm getting so confused as to what I am solving for. I mean, I know I'm solving for the final speeds of puck A and puck B but I'm confused as to how to get there. I'm just plan lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi neoncrazy101! :smile:
neoncrazy101 said:
.018(v)+.036(v) = .018(7.71)
.054v = .13878
v = 2.57. (Terribly wrong)

but your two vs are different

also, momentum is conserved in both the x direction and the y direction, so you need an equation for each :wink:

1. How do you calculate the speed of pucks A and B in a collision?

The speed of pucks A and B in a collision can be calculated using the conservation of momentum principle, which states that the total momentum of a system before a collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This can be expressed as the equation: mAvA + mBvB = mAvA' + mBvB', where m is the mass and v is the velocity of the puck before and after the collision, respectively. By solving for vA and vB, the speeds of pucks A and B can be determined.

2. What information is needed to solve for the speed of pucks A and B in a collision?

In order to solve for the speed of pucks A and B in a collision, the masses and velocities of both pucks before and after the collision must be known. This information can be obtained through experimentation or by measuring the properties of the pucks (e.g. mass, initial and final velocities).

3. Can the speed of pucks A and B be different after the collision?

Yes, the speed of pucks A and B can be different after the collision. This is because the conservation of momentum principle only states that the total momentum of the system remains constant, not the individual momentums of each object. The speed of each puck after the collision will depend on their individual masses and velocities before and after the collision.

4. Is it possible for the speed of pucks A and B to be the same after the collision?

Yes, it is possible for the speed of pucks A and B to be the same after the collision. This can occur if the masses and velocities of both pucks are equal before the collision, or if the collision is perfectly elastic. In a perfectly elastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved, resulting in equal speeds for both pucks after the collision.

5. How can the speed of pucks A and B in a collision be used in real-life situations?

The calculation of the speed of pucks A and B in a collision can be used in real-life situations, such as in car accidents or sporting events. By knowing the masses and velocities of the objects involved, the speed of impact and potential damage can be estimated. This information can also be used to improve safety measures and design more effective equipment to prevent injuries in these situations.