How Does Phase Difference Affect Wave Interference?

In summary, two waves with the same wavelength and polarisation but with amplitudes of E1=3 and E2=7 are added together with a phase difference of 125 degrees. The resultant wave has amplitude A3 and phase constant α.
geoffreythelm
I'm getting so confused about this question, any help would be great. :)

Homework Statement

Two infinite waves Ψ1, Ψ2 have the same wavelength and polarisation and have amplitudes of E1 = 3 and E2 = 7 units. They are added together with a phase difference of 125 degrees.

1) What will be the relative intensity of the resultant wave? Assume initial phase of 0 degrees for Ψ1.

2) In the same conditions, what will be the phase of the resultant wave (in degrees)?

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I've got Ψ1=3sin(kx-ωt) and Ψ2=7sin(kx-ωt+2.182)
And I know that I is proportional to A squared.

Now I'm pretty stuck!

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the help, ehild!

I've found a formula in my notes for resultant amplitude of 2 waves: (A3)^2 = (A1)^2 + (A2)^2 + 2(A1)(A2)cos(δ)

So using this, I get an (A3)^2 of 34, which I suppose is the relative Intensity. Not sure how I should answer this on the question though, I haven't really specified the relative intensities of A1 and A2.

As far as part 2 goes, when I add up Ψ1 and Ψ2, I get stuck with some terms I can't get rid of, and I certainly can't put it into a nice 'A sin(kx-wt +φ)' form.
I'm also getting a bit confused about usage of δ, φ, α, ε, phase, phase difference, phase constant, etc. In my notes I found the following for resultant phase difference (I think):

tanα=(A1sinα1+A2sinα2)/(A1cosα1+A2cosα2)

Not sure if this is of any use.

When I add together the 2 waveforms I get Ψ3=3+7cosδ(sin(kx-ωt))+7sinδ(cos(kx-ωt)).

Thanks again for the response!

You get the relative intensities of the original waves as the square of the amplitudes.
The sum of the two waves is equal with a third one, which is
A3 sin(kx-wt +α) with the terms in your notes. The whole argument of the sine function is the phase of the wave. You see, it changes both with time t and place x. The constant term , 2.182 radian in case of Ψ2 is the phase constant. It is zero in case of Ψ1. The phase constant is the phase at t=0 and x =0, the problem refers to it as initial phase.

The resultant amplitude is given for waves with phase difference δ which is the same as the difference of the phase constants:
δ=(wt-kx+2.182)-(wt-kx)=2.182.

The phase constant of the resultant wave is given in your notes for two waves: one with amplitude A1 and phase constant α1, the other with amplitude A2 and phase constant α2. A1=3 and the phase constant of the first wave α1=0 in the problem, and A2=7, α2 = 2.182 or 125°. From these, you get the phase constant α of the resultant wave.

ehild

I can understand your confusion with this question. Let's break it down step by step and try to make sense of it.

First, we are given two waves, Ψ1 and Ψ2, that have the same wavelength (meaning they have the same distance between each peak or trough) and the same polarization (meaning the direction of the electric field is the same). We are also given their amplitudes, which represent the maximum displacement of the wave from its equilibrium position. In this case, E1 = 3 and E2 = 7 units.

Next, we are told that these two waves are being "added together with a phase difference of 125 degrees". This means that the two waves are being superimposed on each other at the same point in space and time, but one of the waves is shifted in phase by 125 degrees compared to the other. This phase difference is represented by the term "2.182" in the equation you wrote for Ψ2.

Now, let's tackle the first question: What will be the relative intensity of the resultant wave? Intensity is proportional to the square of the amplitude, so we need to find the amplitude of the resultant wave. To do this, we can use the principle of superposition, which states that when two waves are added together, the resulting amplitude is the sum of the individual amplitudes. In this case, the resultant amplitude will be E1 + E2 = 3 + 7 = 10 units.

So, the relative intensity of the resultant wave will be the square of the amplitude, which is (10)^2 = 100 units.

For the second question, we need to find the phase of the resultant wave. To do this, we can use the formula for the phase difference between two waves, which is given by the equation φ = 2πΔt/T, where Δt is the time difference between the two waves and T is the period (or wavelength) of the waves. In this case, we know that the two waves have the same wavelength, so T is the same for both. We also know that the phase difference between the two waves is 125 degrees, which is equivalent to 2.182 radians. So, we can plug these values into the equation and solve for Δt:

2.182 = 2πΔt/λ

Δt = 2.182λ/2

1. What is the definition of a combination of two waves?

A combination of two waves, also known as a superposition, is when two individual waves interact with each other and the resulting wave is a combination of both original waves. This can result in constructive or destructive interference, depending on the frequencies and amplitudes of the waves.

2. How do you calculate the resulting wave from a combination of two waves?

The resulting wave from a combination of two waves can be calculated by adding the amplitudes of the two waves at each point in time. If the waves have the same frequency and direction of motion, the resulting wave will have a larger amplitude. If the waves have opposite directions of motion, the resulting wave will have a smaller amplitude or may even cancel out completely.

3. What are some real-life examples of a combination of two waves?

Some real-life examples of a combination of two waves include the interference patterns seen in sound waves from two speakers, the colors seen in soap bubbles due to the superposition of light waves, and the patterns created by overlapping water waves.

4. How does the phase difference between two waves affect their combination?

The phase difference between two waves, which is the difference in the starting points of the waves, can greatly affect their combination. When the waves are in phase, meaning they have the same starting point, they will create a larger resulting wave. When the waves are out of phase, meaning they have different starting points, they can cancel each other out and create a smaller resulting wave.

5. Can a combination of two waves result in a new frequency?

Yes, a combination of two waves can result in a new frequency if the original waves have different frequencies. This is known as beat frequency, where the new frequency is equal to the difference between the two original frequencies. This can be observed in music, with the creation of beats when two slightly different frequencies are played simultaneously.