Is it possible to combine two springs with different constants?

• Thread starter Fontseeker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Springs
In summary: Right. Now, what does the spring constant k (N/m) represent?Now, you should be able to solve for ## k_{total} ## if you...The spring constant k (N/m) represents the stiffness of the system.
Fontseeker

Homework Statement

tnrkrmS7.jpg

Homework Equations

T = 2 * pi * (m / k)^(1/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking of treating both springs as a single system and adding their constants to be 3k (90 N/m), would this thought be incorrect?

Attachments

• tnrkrmS7.jpg
    tnrkrmS7.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 748
Physics news on Phys.org
This one can be solved with a little algebra. Apply a force ## F ## to the system. How far does each spring stretch? Add the two distances stretched, and determine the spring constant.

Charles Link said:
This one can be solved with a little algebra. Apply a force ## F ## to the system. How far does each spring stretch? Add the two distances stretched, and determine the spring constant.

So if I apply a force F, then I would have an additional unknown

Net force = (F) - (kx) - (2k * x)

Fontseeker said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 225096

Homework Equations

I was thinking of treating both springs as a single system and adding their constants to be 3k (90 N/m), would this thought be incorrect?
If you apply a downward force F to the to the bottom of the lower spring, what is the tension on the lower spring? On the upper spring? How much does each spring stretch under its tension? What is the total stretch of both springs?

tnich said:
If you apply a downward force F to the to the bottom of the lower spring, what is the tension on the lower spring? On the upper spring? How much does each spring stretch under its tension? What is the total stretch of both springs?
Wouldn't the force applied be the same for both the lower and upper spring? And if that assumption is correct, it would be stretched x = F / (2k) for the lower spring and x = F / (k)

You should use the letter ## x ## with subscript 1 for spring 1 and subscript 2 for spring 2. Then you can write ## x_{total}=x_1+x_2 ##. In any case, you are on the right track. ## \\ ## Also, the ## k's ## really should be distinguished in a similar way. Call them ## k_1 ##, ##k_2 ##, and ## k_{total} ##. You don't need to put in any numbers until after you get an algebraic expression for ## k_{total} ##.

Fontseeker said:
Wouldn't the force applied be the same for both the lower and upper spring? And if that assumption is correct, it would be stretched x = F / (2k) for the lower spring and x = F / (k)
OK. Now find the total stretch and you will have everything you need to calculate the force per unit stretch.

Charles Link said:
You should use the letter ## x ## with subscript 1 for spring 1 and subscript 2 for spring 2. Then you can write ## x_{total}=x_1+x_2 ##. In any case, you are on the right track. ## \\ ## Also, the ## k's ## really should be distinguished in a similar way.
An addition of x_1 and x_2 would give me x_{total} = (2F)/(3k). So k = (2F) / (x_{total}). Should I use conservation of energy to find the total stretch?

Fontseeker said:
An addition of x_1 and x_2 would give me x_{total} = (2F)/(3k). So k = (2F) / (x_{total}). Should I use conservation of energy to find the total stretch?
You need to check your addition.

Likes Charles Link
tnich said:
You need to check your addition.
xtotal=x1+x2 = [F / (k)] + [F / (2k)] = (2F/3k)

Fontseeker said:
xtotal=x1+x2 = [F / (k)] + [F / (2k)] = (2F/3k)
Try again. It's incorrect.

Charles Link said:
Try again. It's incorrect.
Are my equations for x1 (F / k) and x2 (F / 2k) correct? Not sure what I am doing incorrectly or how to get rid of the F.

Fontseeker said:
Are my equations for x1 (F / k) and x2 (F / 2k) correct? Not sure what I am doing incorrectly or how to get rid of the F.
You can't just add the numerators together and add the denominators together. You have to get the denominators to agree and then add the numerators.

Fontseeker said:
Yes. So far, so good. Factor out ## \frac{F}{k} ## and then add the two numbers together. You don't get 2/3 when you do that.

tnich said:
You can't just add the numerators together and add the denominators together. You have to get the denominators to agree and then add the numerators.
I am dumb, xtotal = (3F / 2k)

Likes Charles Link
Fontseeker said:
I am dumb, xtotal = (3F / 2k)
Right. Now, what does the spring constant k (N/m) represent?

Now, you should be able to solve for ## k_{total} ## if you can write the expression relating ## F, k_{total}##, and ## x_{total} ##. How are ## F, k_{total} ##, and ## x_{total} ## related. (In this case the applied ## F ## is opposite the force from the spring, so there is no minus sign).

Charles Link said:
Now, you should be able to solve for ## k_{total} ## if you can write the expression relating ## F, k_{total}##, and ## x_{total} ##.
So:
F = k_t * x_t = k_t * [(3F) / (2k)]
k_t = F / [(3F) / (2k)] = (F * 2k) = (3F) = (2/3) * k = (2/3) * 30 = 20 N/m?

Likes Charles Link
Fontseeker said:
So:
Yes.

Fontseeker said:
So:
Your 3rd equal sign needs to be a "/" , (division sign), but otherwise correct.

@Fontseeker Incidentally, when two or more springs are placed side by side, that's when the spring constants add.

Charles Link said:
Incidentally, when two or more springs are placed side by side, that's when the spring constants add.
Wow, how convenient it would have been if it was horizontal.

Fontseeker said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 225096

Homework Equations

This can be easily solved using the equation for series combination of springs, which indeed can be derived using the extension of both the springs
ie;
extension in spring 1(top)=x1
extension in spring 2(bottom)=x2
and
x1 =F /k1
x2 =F /k2
Using Hooke's law
Now the total extension
x = x1 + x2
x = F / keq

F / keq = F /k1 + F /k2
from which we get,

F1/ keq = 1 /k1 + 1/k2
This equation easily solves your problem
Hope that helps... [emoji4]

1. Can springs with different constants be combined?

Yes, it is possible to combine two springs with different constants.

2. What happens when two springs with different constants are combined?

The stiffness of the combined spring will be somewhere in between the stiffness of the two individual springs. This is known as the effective spring constant.

3. How do you calculate the effective spring constant of two combined springs?

The effective spring constant can be calculated using the formula: 1/keff = 1/k1 + 1/k2, where keff is the effective spring constant and k1 and k2 are the spring constants of the two individual springs.

4. Can the combined spring have a higher stiffness than the individual springs?

Yes, it is possible for the combined spring to have a higher stiffness than the individual springs if the two springs are connected in parallel. In this case, the effective spring constant can be calculated using the formula: keff = k1 + k2.

5. What are some practical applications of combining springs with different constants?

Combining springs with different constants can be useful in designing shock absorbers, suspension systems, and other mechanical structures that require a specific level of stiffness. It allows for more flexibility and customization in designing these systems.