Commutability of Tensor components , an ambigious situation

In summary, the conversation discusses defining the transpose in a tensorial view using the kroneck delta tensor. The attempt at a solution includes using tensor notation and considering commutability of tensor components. The 10 commandments of index expressions and tensor calculus are referenced, specifically commandment 5 regarding typesetting.
Somali_Physicist

Homework Statement

I have been working on defining the transpose in a tensorial view using the kroneck delta tensor.

Homework Equations

I will use tensor notation

The Attempt at a Solution

Let Tjk be a 2nd level tensor:

(Tjk)TP = Tkj

My first attempt is:
δjkTjk δkj = Tkj

However if tensor components are commutable by nature the above expression can be

δjkδkj Tjk = δjkTkk

the latter expression becoming ambigious, I can replace either k and acquire:
δjkTjj = Tjk
or
δjkTjj = Tkj

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is commutability of tensor components?

Commutability of tensor components refers to the ability of different components of a tensor to be interchanged without affecting the overall result of a tensor operation.

2. Why is commutability important in tensor operations?

Commutability is important because it allows for the simplification of tensor operations and makes it easier to manipulate and analyze tensors.

3. What factors affect the commutability of tensor components?

The commutability of tensor components can be affected by the order of the components, the type of tensor being used, and the type of operation being performed.

4. How can I determine if two tensor components are commutable?

To determine if two tensor components are commutable, you can perform a commutativity test by interchanging the components and checking if the result remains the same.

5. What should I do if I encounter an ambiguous situation in commutability of tensor components?

If you encounter an ambiguous situation, it is important to carefully analyze the components and the operation being performed to determine the cause of the ambiguity. You may also need to consult with other experts in the field for guidance.