Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Comparing China with America

1. China

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  2. America

24 vote(s)
    85.7%
  3. confused

3 vote(s)
    10.7%
  1. Jun 28, 2009 #1
    Hi freinds i am not from any of the above countries
    but I have always wondered which one of them is developed(which answer I have not got so far)
    I know its not good to strive for knowing so but I couldnot stop from doing that.
    Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2009 #2
    If you mean USA, they indeed can not compete with China in terms of human right violations.

4. Jun 28, 2009 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're going to have to define what you mean by "developed."

5. Jun 28, 2009 #4
    China has developed a larger area..

6. Jun 28, 2009 #5
    China has the tallest building

It's likely that we can enjoy China's scenic spots esp its longest river soon.

I'm loving it!

7. Jun 28, 2009 #6

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

"Developed" with no other context given typically means economically developed. China is typically considered a "developing" country due to its high poverty and incomplete industrialization while the USA is "developed".

8. Jun 29, 2009 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'd say that China has a long way to go on issues of pollution, food and product safety, and fair trade practices.

One personal source of frustration for me is that American companies are asked to compete with Chinese companies that don't have to answer to the USDA, or OSHA, or the EPA. By the same token, as futurist Alvin Toffler noted, China will eventually have to pay a huge price for disastrously polluted rivers, ground water, land, air, and contaminated food. One might say that while the US has been living on credit from China and other countries, China is living on borrowed time. They will be forced to address these issues as we were, and they will lose the tremendous competitive advantage that they now enjoy.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  9. Jun 29, 2009 #8
    lets become specific, develop incase of economy

10. Jun 29, 2009 #9
    I really lack of economic Knowledge and I asked this because its favourite iscussion in our college breaks after " relativity'

11. Jun 29, 2009 #10

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

China's development is surprisingly like that of USA's, except they are moving at such a rapid pace. Still, I read (can't recall where, I think is was The Atlantic magazine, which is quite left-of-center yet still authentic journalism most of the time; I mean its facts are reliable, but they are without question interpreting them through blue-tinted goggles--still its nothing compared with the NewsCorp treatment of "facts". In The Atlantic, you wouldn't be reading an article that lambasts "Conservatives" for every bad thing the way NewsCorp outlets dribble the word "Liberal"...)...I forgot what I was saying...

Right, I read that ALL of China, put together, still does not use as much gasoline as the state of California. So China has a way to go before they "out-America" the Americans! Now, let's all go burn raw garbage for heat! We don't want China to out-do us as polluters, do we?

12. Jun 29, 2009 #11
    And mostly I find the chinese scientific field is tending to achieve high except Space programmes which are very new project to them while America is father in father of all in space programmes

13. Jun 29, 2009 #12
    Of course America now is more developed than china . But the direction of the arrow reefers to America now in a journey of 'descending' , and china now in a journey of 'rising'.

14. Jun 29, 2009 #13
    I am sorry to state ,please I beg sorry if it hurts
    The reality is also that America's developement is open at the media level
    And the china most work inside without showing outside much to the world

15. Jun 29, 2009 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's because of their own doing...it's the Chinese government that blocks transparency, leaving the rest of the world wondering what it is they need to hide.

I agree with others that China is still developing, and yes, it seems they have not bothered to take a lesson from other developed countries to avoid making the same mistakes. China undoubtedly has something akin to the US's superfund clean-up sites in their future, which is very unfortunate since the technology and knowledge to prevent it exists.

16. Jun 29, 2009 #15
    Ordinarily, I would say that the US has it all over China. However, you never know where my wife may be lurking about. But you have to admit, we have one thing they don't. Chinatown.

17. Jun 29, 2009 #16

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's kind of difficult for a country trying to become developped to start funding such projects. Yes they are every important, but the USA has never had such funding in the past... even for a large part when they actually were developped.

I think China should just play it safe so they won't need such a fund in the future. Clearly, they are not choosing that route. We can't criticize too much since the US and Canada were much worse I bet.

18. Jun 29, 2009 #17

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

They have a very nice "Englandtown" (Hong Kong).

19. Jun 29, 2009 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

People have been trying to write-off the US since we first came to be. In the beginning, the Brits thought us to be barbarians who needed a King. You can probably still find Brits who refer to us as "the colonies". Sixty years ago, the Soviet said that they would bury us. Of course the Soviet doesn't exist anymore. Back in the 1970s, it was going to be Japan. Then it was going to be India. Now it is supposed to be China.

What people consistently fail to understand is America's phenomenal ability to renew itself. It is an essential aspect of our culture - our free-thinking and innovative approach to problems, and free markets.

I would add special emphasis to the notion of "free thinking". One might also note that in a global economy, we will all rise and fall together. as we have seen.

20. Jun 29, 2009 #19

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Note for example that the US claims credit for the transistor, the integrated circuit, the PC [which was invented in a garage near my home back then], both the DOS and Windows operating systems, and the internet.

21. Jun 29, 2009 #20
    The internet? I find nothing to support the internet was invented by the US. It claims to have as you put it, but I wasn't sure if you supported it or not so I just thought I would question it. According to everything I know and have found the internet could appear anywhere in the world where two computer networks are connected. Nobody truly knows where this first occured officially.

Don't know how trustworthy this link is, but the response from a quick google gives links very similar to this.
    http://www.nethistory.info/History of the Internet/origins.html

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook