Complex analysis definite integral involving cosine

In summary, Dick is trying to solve for the poles of an equation using a u=tan(t/2) substitution, but he is having trouble because the integrand has a pole in the unit circle. Latent Corpse suggests that he try replacing the integrand with 1/(a+cos(t))^2, which will give him a pole in the real axis. After solving for the poles, Dick will get after some messy algebra the residue for the pole in the unit circle.
Daveyboy

Homework Statement

integral 1/(a+cos(t))^2 from 0 to pi.

Homework Equations

cos(t)=1/2(e^it+e^-it)
z=e^it
dz/(ie^it)=dt

The Attempt at a Solution

int dt/(a+cos(t))^2 = int dz/iz(a2+az+az-1+z2/4 +1/2 +z-2/4)

so with these types of problems I normally can factor this guy some how and get a nice looking quadratic to find the roots and calculate the residue and I'm done. I don't know what to do with this thing in the denominator how can I find the poles of this guy?

Physics news on Phys.org
That doesn't smell like a contour integral. I don't see a closed contour in there. It looks like a job for a u=tan(t/2) substitution. If the integrand were 1/(a+cos(t)^2), I might think differently.

Last edited:
I think this is ok guys:

[tex]\int_0^{\pi} \frac{1}{(a+\cos(t))^2}=-\frac{i}{2}\mathop\oint\limits_{|z|=1}\frac{4z}{(z^2+2za+1)^2}dz;\quad |a|>1[/tex]

ok, you can factor the denominator and get:

[tex]\frac{4z}{(z-z_0)^2(z-z_1)^2}[/tex]

That immediately tells you poles of second order. Solve for the poles, only one is inside the contour, need to calculate the residue for that pole and you should get after some messy algebra:

[tex]\int_0^{\pi} \frac{1}{(a+\cos(t))^2}=\frac{\pi a}{(a^2-1)^{3/2}}[/tex]

if |a|>1 how can you have a pole?

[itex]\frac{1}{a+cos(t)}[/itex] will be holomorphic on all of [itex]\mathbb{C}[/itex] and Cauchy's theorem will give it integrating to 0 will it not?

squidsoft, thanks, that factorization is what I was really looking for, it's lovely.

latentcorpse, that may be true, but when you make the change of variable then integrate over the unit circle one pole will be in the unit circle. I think the pole was -a+(a^2-1)^1/2 or something like that.

Dick, I'm not about to break out the old single variable calculus book, but does your substitution work? I sincerely doubt it after scribbling out what d/du looks like.

1. What is complex analysis definite integral?

Complex analysis definite integral is a branch of mathematics that deals with the integration of complex-valued functions. It is an extension of real analysis, which deals with the integration of real-valued functions.

2. What is the difference between complex analysis definite integral and real analysis definite integral?

The main difference is that in complex analysis definite integral, the integrand is a complex-valued function, while in real analysis definite integral, the integrand is a real-valued function. This means that the integration in complex analysis involves both real and imaginary parts, while in real analysis it only involves real numbers.

3. What is the importance of cosine in complex analysis definite integral?

Cosine is a trigonometric function that is commonly used in complex analysis definite integrals because of its periodic nature and its relationship with the exponential function. It also has important applications in physics and engineering.

4. How do you solve a complex analysis definite integral involving cosine?

To solve a complex analysis definite integral involving cosine, we first convert the cosine function into its equivalent exponential form using Euler's formula. Then, we use the properties of complex numbers and integration techniques to evaluate the integral. Finally, we take the real part of the result to get the final answer.

5. What are some applications of complex analysis definite integrals involving cosine?

Some applications of complex analysis definite integrals involving cosine include solving differential equations, calculating areas and volumes of complex shapes, and evaluating certain physical quantities in electromagnetism and quantum mechanics. It also has applications in signal processing and image analysis.