Complex Hyperbolic Derivative Problem

In summary: The final answer is that the answer should be:\frac{1}{2}sech^2(x/2)\left(\frac{1}{2}- tanh^2(\frac{x}{2})\right)
Liquid7800

Homework Statement

Hello,
Thanks for taking some time to help me out...and I have to apologize for posting a graphic of my logic and attempted answer instead of using LateX (It would take me a very long time just to get this problem viewable)

Please help me check my work and logic here...(see attached graphic) I don't know of any place I can see if my answer is correct (Not a book problem)

The problem itself is stated in the first box drawn (see below)...

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

My logic (with comments throughout) and the last red box drawn is my attempt at a solution..(see the graphic below)
I hope this is sort of easy to follow ...and I appreciate any help.
Thank you...

l_144c147752ad415e86cbcb6f370a0fea.jpg

Does this seem right?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, it doesn't seem right. At one point you have
[tex]\frac{1}{2}\frac{1}{2}sech^2(\frac{x}{2})- \frac{1}{2}tanh(\frac{x}{2})sech(\frac{x}{2})[/tex] and then, in the next two lines, that difference has metamorphised into a product,
[tex]\left(\frac{1}{4}\right)\left(\frac{1}{2}\right)\left(sech^2(\frac{x}{2})\right)\left(-1\right)\left(tanh^2(\frac{x}{2})\right)\left(sech^2(\frac{x}{2})\right)[/tex]
and then in the next line, you have reassembled that difference into a sum!

The first line I mention above,
[tex]\frac{1}{2}\frac{1}{2}sech^2(\frac{x}{2})- \frac{1}{2}tanh(\frac{x}{2})sech(\frac{x}{2})[/tex]
is correct. You can factor (1/2)sech2(x/2) out:
[tex]\frac{1}{2}sech^2(x/2)\left(\frac{1}{2}- tanh^2(\frac{1}{2})\right)[/tex]
but that's about all you can do.

@HallOfIvy..

Thanks very much for reviewing my work!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No, it doesn't seem right. At one point you have
[tex]\frac{1}{2}\frac{1}{2}sech^2(\frac{x}{2})- \frac{1}{2}tanh(\frac{x}{2})sech(\frac{x}{2})[/tex]
and then, in the next two lines, that difference has metamorphised into a product,
and then in the next line, you have reassembled that difference into a sum!

I was very suspicious of that operation (I thought it might be illegal)...thats why I was hoping an expert such as yourself could give me some insight.

Now I've got two questions:

1) The sbove mentioned operstion is illegal why?
What I was trying to do was turn the difference into a sum by factoring out the negative -1?
In effect turning function-function*function into (function+function)-1*function...
Or is this totally illegal...

2) So the final answer is:
[tex]\frac{1}{2}sech^2(x/2)\left(\frac{1}{2}- tanh^2(\frac{1}{2})\right)[/tex]
or should it be:
[tex]\frac{1}{2}sech^2(x/2)\left(\frac{1}{2}- tanh^2(\frac{x}{2})\right)[/tex]
...and so one of these is then the FINAL answer?

1. What is the definition of a complex hyperbolic derivative?

A complex hyperbolic derivative is a mathematical concept used to describe the rate of change of a function with respect to a complex variable. It is similar to the conventional derivative in real calculus, but involves complex numbers instead of real numbers.

2. How is the complex hyperbolic derivative calculated?

The complex hyperbolic derivative is calculated using a process called the Cauchy-Riemann equations, which involve taking partial derivatives with respect to the real and complex parts of the function. This process is similar to the chain rule used in real calculus.

3. What are the applications of complex hyperbolic derivatives?

Complex hyperbolic derivatives have many applications in physics, engineering, and other areas of science. They are commonly used in the study of complex variables, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. They are also used in signal processing and control theory.

4. What are the properties of complex hyperbolic derivatives?

Some of the key properties of complex hyperbolic derivatives include linearity, the product rule, and the chain rule. They also have a geometric interpretation, where the derivative represents the slope of a tangent line to a curve on the complex plane. Additionally, the complex hyperbolic derivative of a function is equal to its analytic continuation.

5. Are there any real-world problems that can be solved using complex hyperbolic derivatives?

Yes, there are many real-world problems that can be solved using complex hyperbolic derivatives. Some examples include analyzing the behavior of electrical circuits, predicting the motion of particles in a magnetic field, and studying the behavior of waves in a medium. They are also used in image processing and computer graphics.