1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Hyperbolic Derivative Problem

1. Sep 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hello,
    Thanks for taking some time to help me out...and I have to apologize for posting a graphic of my logic and attempted answer instead of using LateX (It would take me a very long time just to get this problem viewable)

Please help me check my work and logic here...(see attached graphic) I dont know of any place I can see if my answer is correct (Not a book problem)

The problem itself is stated in the first box drawn (see below)...

2. Relevant equations
    None

3. The attempt at a solution

My logic (with comments throughout) and the last red box drawn is my attempt at a solution..(see the graphic below)
    I hope this is sort of easy to follow ...and I appreciate any help.
    Thank you...

l_144c147752ad415e86cbcb6f370a0fea.jpg

Does this seem right?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, it doesn't seem right. At one point you have
    [tex]\frac{1}{2}\frac{1}{2}sech^2(\frac{x}{2})- \frac{1}{2}tanh(\frac{x}{2})sech(\frac{x}{2})[/tex] and then, in the next two lines, that difference has metamorphised into a product,
    [tex]\left(\frac{1}{4}\right)\left(\frac{1}{2}\right)\left(sech^2(\frac{x}{2})\right)\left(-1\right)\left(tanh^2(\frac{x}{2})\right)\left(sech^2(\frac{x}{2})\right)[/tex]
    and then in the next line, you have reassembled that difference into a sum!

The first line I mention above,
    [tex]\frac{1}{2}\frac{1}{2}sech^2(\frac{x}{2})- \frac{1}{2}tanh(\frac{x}{2})sech(\frac{x}{2})[/tex]
    is correct. You can factor (1/2)sech2(x/2) out:
    [tex]\frac{1}{2}sech^2(x/2)\left(\frac{1}{2}- tanh^2(\frac{1}{2})\right)[/tex]
    but that's about all you can do.

4. Sep 7, 2009 #3
    @HallOfIvy..

Thanks very much for reviewing my work!

I was very suspicious of that operation (I thought it might be illegal)...thats why I was hoping an expert such as yourself could give me some insight.

Now Ive got two questions:

1) The sbove mentioned operstion is illegal why?
    What I was trying to do was turn the difference into a sum by factoring out the negative -1?
    In effect turning function-function*function into (function+function)-1*function...
    Or is this totally illegal...

2) So the final answer is:
    or should it be:
    [tex]\frac{1}{2}sech^2(x/2)\left(\frac{1}{2}- tanh^2(\frac{x}{2})\right)[/tex]
    ...and so one of these is then the FINAL answer?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook