What is the Indefinite Integral of \sqrt{z} along a Path in the Third Quadrant?

In summary, the exercise involves using the indefinite integral to compute \int_{C} \sqrt{z}dz, where C is a path from z = i to z = -1 in the third quadrant. The note given states that \sqrt{z} can be rewritten as e^{(1/2)lnz} and this is defined on C \setminus [0,\infty]. After completing the exercise, there was a small mistake in computing e^(3/2 pi/2 i), but everything else was correct. The reason for being explicit about the branch cut is because it can affect the final answer.
mattmns
Here is the exercise:

Use the indefinite integral to compute [tex] \int_{C} \sqrt{z}dz[/tex] where C is a path from z = i to z = -1 and lying in the third quadrant. Note: [tex] \sqrt{z} = e^{(1/2)lnz}[/tex] where the principal branch of lnz is defined on [tex]C \setminus [0,\infty][/tex].
-------

I am just a little unsure of why he gave us that note (although I do use it). Here is what I did for the exercise:

[tex] \int_{C} \sqrt{z}dz = \left[ \frac{2}{3}z^{3/2} \right]_{i}^{-1} [/tex]

[tex]= \frac{2}{3} \left[ e^{(3/2)ln(-1)} - e^{(3/2)ln(i)} \right] [/tex]

[tex]= \frac{2}{3} \left[ e^{(3/2)\pi i} - e^{(3/2)(\pi/2) i} \right] [/tex]

[tex]= \frac{2}{3}(1 - 2i)[/tex]

Everything look fine?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you computed e^(3/2 pi/2 i) incorrectly, but other than that it looks ok. The reason he was explicit about the branch cut was because you'd get a different answer if the cut passed through the path.

Woops, I forgot the whole [itex] \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}[/itex] part in there. Thanks!

What does "Yes, everything looks fine!" mean?

"Yes, everything looks fine!" is a statement indicating that there are no major issues or problems to report. It suggests that the current situation or data being analyzed appears to be in good condition and does not require any further intervention.

Why do scientists often say "Yes, everything looks fine!"?

Scientists often say "Yes, everything looks fine!" to indicate that their data or experiment is producing expected results and there are no major abnormalities or errors. This reassures that their methods and procedures are accurate and reliable.

Is "Yes, everything looks fine!" always a good thing?

Not necessarily. While it is generally seen as a positive statement, it could also indicate a lack of significant findings or a failure to produce expected results. In some cases, it may also be used to downplay or dismiss potential issues that require further investigation.

Can "Yes, everything looks fine!" be replaced with other phrases?

Yes, scientists may use other phrases such as "All systems go", "No red flags", or "Satisfactory results" to convey a similar meaning. The specific wording may vary depending on the context and the individual's personal style of communication.

Is "Yes, everything looks fine!" used in all areas of science?

Yes, "Yes, everything looks fine!" can be used in all areas of science, from biology and chemistry to physics and astronomy. It is a general statement that can be applied to any field as long as the data or experiment being analyzed appears to be in good condition.