1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex number

1. Mar 14, 2009 #1
    I'm looking at a problem involving complex numbers and a proof. It shows the solution too, but I don't get how they did a certain step.
    At one step they end up with this: (NOTE: the sigma should have 'n=0' on bottom and infinity on top, but I don't know how to do that in latex. If someone knows, please share):
    [tex]Im(e^{i\theta}\sum(re^{2i\theta})^{n})[/tex]
    Then in the next step they get from the above to the below:
    [tex]Im(e^{i\theta}\frac{1}{1-re^{2i\theta}})[/tex]
    If someone could please explain how they are equal I would greatly appreciate it.

I didn't include the default template for threads on this section of the forum because I don't think it really applies to this question, if I'm wrong then I appologize. I didn't really attempt much of a solution, other than just writing out the sums to see if I could do anything with that... no luck.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2009 #2
    The way to do limits on the sum is \sum^{\infty}_{0}. You can use ^{} or _{} to put things at top or bottom of anything you want, generally.

The reason that they can get rid of the sum is that it is a geometric series, which has the explicit formula
    [itex]\sum^{\infty}_{k=0}ar^{k} = \frac{a}{1-r}[/itex]
    When [itex]r<1[/itex] (do you see why r must be less than 1?).

Cf. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geometric_series#Formula

4. Mar 14, 2009 #3
    Of course! It even says 0 < r < 1 in the problem, lol, can't believe I overlooked that.

Thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook