1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex number

1. Jun 29, 2009 #1
    can someone help me solve this question as fasd as possible??
    im really headache wif it....
    thx~~

determine the 3 cube roots of 3-i over 3+i giving the result in modulus argument form,express the principal root in the form a+Jb

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2009 #2
    hello..anyone can help me out??

4. Jun 29, 2009 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Do not bump your post after only 16 minutes. It is unreasonable to expect fast help all the time here on the PF.

Also, you must show your attempt at a solution before we can be of help. Show us how you would go about simplifying the complex fraction that you are describing....

5. Jun 29, 2009 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

First off, you're going to want to calculate (3 - i)/(3 + i), to get it in the form a + bi. After that, you should calculate the polar form of this complex number, r(cos[itex]\theta[/itex] + i sin[itex]\theta[/itex]). After that, you can use DeMoivre's Formula to find a cube root, which says that
    [tex](r(cos\theta + i sin\theta))^{1/n} = r^{1/n}(cos(\theta/n) + i sin(\theta/n))[/tex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook