1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Numbers - Finding roots

1. Apr 15, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Solve the equation z^4= -i

2. Relevant equations
    De Moivre's Theorem

3. The attempt at a solution
    I understand how to find the roots by equating modulus and argument but I wanted to ask how do you know which arguments to take? Because I got up to

4*theta = -Pi/2, 3*Pi/2, 7*Pi/2

then I thought that I should take -5*Pi/2 because I thought that the final argument should lie between -Pi and Pi. Is that wrong? Because the answers took 11*Pi/2 instead...

I don't understand. Please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2009 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Short answer: you are right.

Long answer:

First of all, note that for any integer n,
    [tex]e^{i \theta} = e^{i (\theta + 2 \pi)}.[/tex]

However, it is convention to normalize angles by subtracting multiples of 2 pi. Unfortunately two different conventions are in use: some people prefer to take all angles between -pi and pi, some prefer to use angles between 0 and 2 pi. If you are using the first [second] convention and you get a negative angle [angle > pi] you can always go to the other convention by adding [subtracting] 2pi.

Now, solving z4 = -i you first write [itex]z = r e^{i \theta}, i = e^{-i \pi}[/itex]. The modulus equation gives r = 1, and then you get
    [tex]e^{4 i \theta} = e^{-i \pi / 2}[/tex]
    (I am using the convention of angles between -pi and pi here, otherwise you would get 3pi/2 on the RHS).
    The solution is given by
    [tex]4 \theta = - \pi / 2 + 2 \pi n[/tex]
    so -- dividing by 4 --
    [tex]\theta = - \frac{\pi}{8} + n \frac{pi}{2}[/tex]

Now all you have to do is plug in values of n to get all the inequivalent angles between -pi and pi. You will find
    4theta = -5*Pi/8, -Pi/2, 3*Pi/2, 7*Pi/2

If instead, you use the convention that angles should be between 0 and pi, you have to add 2 pi to the first two (i.e. add 8pi to 4 times the angle), and you get
    4theta = 3*Pi/2, 7*Pi/2, 11*Pi/2, 15*Pi/2.

The book is apparently mixing the two conventions. Of course the answers are right, and if you want you could have written down
    4theta = +75*Pi/2, -33*Pi/2, 3*Pi/2, -1593*Pi/2
    if you wanted.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook