Complex Pulley System (five different pulleys)

In summary, the problem involves finding the force needed to maintain equilibrium in a pulley system with a weight of 500 lbs on one block and weights of 10 lbs and 20 lbs on the two pulleys. By analyzing the tension in each segment of the ropes, it is determined that the force needed would be 125 lbs. However, the weights of the pulleys must also be taken into account.
mxyplizk

Homework Statement

We are asked to find the force (F) needed to maintain equilibrium. I've drawn a picture; the red, blue, and green ropes are three separate ropes. Block W has a weight of 500 lbs, pulley A has a weight of 10 lbs, and pulley B has a weight of 20 lbs.

the picture: http://img60.imageshack.us/img60/2065/pulleysystem.jpg

Homework Equations

Can't think of any, it seems like this problem just uses some common sense I am clearly lacking.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I figured out what the answer would be if you ignore the weights of the two pulleys. The tension would be 1/2 W on either side of pulley B, and therefore the tension pulling down on pulley A would be 1/2 W. Therefore, the tension on either side of pulley A would be 1/4 W, and since that rope is the rope to which the force F is applied, F=1/4 W=125 lbs. But I just don't know how to take into account the weights of the pulleys. Thanks for any and all help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
There are three segments in the red rope. Total hanging weight is W+B. Find the tension in each segment. Apply the same thing to green rope.

So tension in the red rope would equal 1/3(W+B), and then tension in the green rope would equal 1/3(A+1/3(W+B)) ?

Yes.

1. What is a complex pulley system?

A complex pulley system is a mechanical device that uses multiple interconnected pulleys to lift or move heavy loads. It is designed to make the task of lifting easier by distributing the weight over multiple ropes and pulleys, reducing the amount of force needed to lift the load.

2. How does a complex pulley system work?

A complex pulley system works by using a combination of fixed and movable pulleys. The fixed pulleys are attached to a fixed point, while the movable pulleys are attached to the load. As the rope is pulled, the movable pulleys move upwards, which distributes the weight across the multiple ropes and pulleys, making it easier to lift the load.

3. What are the advantages of using a complex pulley system?

The main advantage of using a complex pulley system is that it reduces the amount of force needed to lift a heavy load. It also allows for easier control and precision when lifting, as the weight can be distributed evenly across multiple ropes. Additionally, complex pulley systems are versatile and can be used in a variety of settings, such as construction, mechanical engineering, and even in everyday objects like elevators.

4. Are there any limitations to using a complex pulley system?

One limitation of using a complex pulley system is that it may not be suitable for extremely heavy loads. The amount of force needed to lift the load may still be too great, even with the use of multiple pulleys. Additionally, complex pulley systems require proper set up and maintenance to ensure safe and efficient operation.

5. How do I choose the right complex pulley system for my needs?

The right complex pulley system for your needs will depend on the weight and type of load you need to lift, as well as the space and resources available. It is important to consult with a professional or conduct thorough research to determine the best pulley system for your specific needs. Factors to consider include the number and type of pulleys, the strength and length of the ropes, and the overall design of the system.