Complex Roots - Not sure I did this right

In summary, the conversation was about finding all the roots of z^{4}=1-i using De Moivre's formula. The solution was to rewrite the equation, use De Moivre's formula, and find the four roots by letting k=0,1,2,3. The four roots are 2^\frac{1}{8} cis(\frac{-\pi}{16}), 2^\frac{1}{8} cis(\frac{7\pi}{16}), 2^\frac{1}{8} cis(\frac{15\pi}{16}), and 2^\frac{1}{8} cis(\frac{23\pi}{16}). The correctness of the solution was confirmed by taking the fourth powers
Atena
Hello. I'm not sure whether I did this right or messed up somewhere, just need to confirm my results...thanks to anybody who bothers answering.

Homework Statement

Find all the roots of [tex]z^{4}=1-i[/tex]

Homework Equations

I guess I should state De Moivre's here...

[tex](r cis(\vartheta))^{n}=r^{n} cis (n\vartheta)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Firstly I re-wrote [tex]z^{4}=1-i[/tex] as

[tex]z^{4}=\sqrt{2} cis (\frac{-\pi}{4})[/tex]

Using De Moivre's,

[tex]z=(2\frac{1}{2})^{\frac{1}{4}} cis (\frac{1}{4}(\frac{-\pi}{4}+k2\pi))[/tex]

[tex]z=2\frac{1}{8} cis (\frac{1}{4}(\frac{-\pi}{4}+k2\pi))[/tex]

I found the four roots letting k=0,1,2,3

[tex]z=2^\frac{1}{8} cis (\frac{-\pi}{16})[/tex]

[tex]z=2^\frac{1}{8} cis (\frac{1}{4}(\frac{-\pi}{4}+2\pi))=2^\frac{1}{8} cis (\frac{7\pi}{16})[/tex]

[tex]z=2^\frac{1}{8} cis (\frac{1}{4}(\frac{-\pi}{4}+4\pi))=2^\frac{1}{8} cis (\frac{15\pi}{16})[/tex]

[tex]z=2^\frac{1}{8} cis (\frac{1}{4}(\frac{-\pi}{4}+6\pi))=2^\frac{1}{8} cis (\frac{23\pi}{16})[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Atena!

Your answer is correct. You can check this by taking the fourth powers of the solutions you got (using deMoivre).

Related to Complex Roots - Not sure I did this right

What are complex roots and how are they different from real roots?

Complex roots are solutions to equations that involve complex numbers, which are numbers that have both real and imaginary parts. They are different from real roots because real roots are solutions that only involve real numbers.

How do complex roots affect the graph of an equation?

Complex roots do not affect the graph of an equation for real numbers. However, if the equation involves complex numbers, the graph will be in the complex plane rather than the traditional x-y coordinate plane.

How do you solve for complex roots?

To solve for complex roots, you can use the quadratic formula, which involves taking the square root of the discriminant (b²-4ac) where a, b, and c are the coefficients of the equation. If the discriminant is negative, then the roots will be complex numbers.

Can complex roots be irrational?

Yes, complex roots can be irrational. This means that they cannot be expressed as a fraction and have an infinite number of decimal places. An example of an irrational complex root is √-2.

What is the significance of complex roots in mathematics?

Complex roots are important in mathematics because they allow us to solve equations that involve complex numbers. They also have applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.