How do we determine complex state equations for substances?

In summary, the conversation discusses state equations and how they can vary in complexity for different substances. The idea of determining these equations through experimentation is also mentioned, which causes confusion for the speaker. They also mention the common state equation for an ideal gas, but note that this only applies at low pressures. The general behavior for a real gas is described as a function of pressure, volume per mass, and temperature, which would require experimentation to determine for a specific gas.
mech-eng
Hello. I am reading about state equations from a physics textbook, Physics by Frederick J. Keller, W. Edward Gettys, Malcolm j. Skove (Volume I). I don't understand some parts but since I have the Turkish translation of the book I must translate it as good and clear as possible.

"State equations of some substances may be very complex functions of state variables. In that case, relations between variables are determined empirically\experimentally."

The above statement does not make much sense to me because aren't there just a few state equations, most common being PV=mRT?

The statement makes me think that as if state equations vary from substance to substance and they are very very complex that they are determined by experimentally.

The situation of determining them experimentally does not make sense to me, too.

Regards,

Science news on Phys.org
mech-eng said:
Hello. I am reading about state equations from a physics textbook, Physics by Frederick J. Keller, W. Edward Gettys, Malcolm j. Skove (Volume I). I don't understand some parts but since I have the Turkish translation of the book I must translate it as good and clear as possible.

"State equations of some substances may be very complex functions of state variables. In that case, relations between variables are determined empirically\experimentally."

The above statement does not make much sense to me because aren't there just a few state equations, most common being PV=mRT?
This equation applies only to an ideal gas, which is how a real gas behaves at relatively low pressures. The more general behavior of a real gas is $$f(P, \frac{V}{m},T)=0$$How would you describe this behavior for a specific gas without doing experiments.

1. What is a state equation for a substance?

A state equation for a substance is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the physical properties of a substance, such as temperature, pressure, and volume. It describes how these properties change in relation to each other under different conditions.

2. How do we determine a state equation for a substance?

The process of determining a state equation for a substance involves conducting experiments and collecting data on the substance's physical properties under different conditions. This data is then analyzed and used to develop a mathematical equation that accurately describes the relationship between the properties.

3. What factors are considered when determining a state equation for a substance?

When determining a state equation for a substance, factors such as temperature, pressure, volume, and the type of substance are taken into account. Other factors that may be considered include the substance's molecular structure and the interactions between its particles.

4. Why is it important to have a state equation for a substance?

A state equation is important because it allows us to predict the behavior of a substance under different conditions without having to conduct experiments every time. It also helps us understand the fundamental principles that govern the behavior of substances and can be used to develop new technologies and applications.

5. Can a single state equation accurately describe all substances?

No, a single state equation cannot accurately describe all substances. Different substances have different molecular structures and properties, and therefore, require different state equations to accurately describe their behavior. However, some substances may have similar state equations due to similar properties or behavior.