Complex Variable-definite integral

In summary, you are trying to find the residue for two cases: k>0 and k<0. In the k>0 case, the residue is e^(-k*epsilon). In the k<0 case, the residue is e^(|k|*ε).
Microzero
Complex Variable---definite integral

Show that
f(k) = [tex]\frac{1}{2i\pi}[/tex] [tex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}[/tex] [tex]\frac{e^{ikx}}{x-i\epsilon}dx[/tex] =

1, if k>0
0, if k<0

where [tex]\epsilon[/tex] > 0

The attempt at a solution

Consider : [tex]\oint[/tex] [tex]\frac{e^{ikz}}{z-i\epsilon}dz[/tex]

the residule is : e^(-k[tex]\epsilon[/tex])

so [tex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}[/tex] [tex]\frac{e^{ikx}}{x-i\epsilon}dx[/tex]

= [tex]{2i\pi}[/tex] e^(-k[tex]\epsilon[/tex])

f(k) = [tex]\frac{1}{2i\pi}[/tex] [tex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}[/tex] [tex]\frac{e^{ikx}}{x-i\epsilon}dx[/tex] = e^(-k[tex]\epsilon[/tex])

I can't prove it equal to 0 or 1 and the required condition.

Physics news on Phys.org

I hope you mean e^(-k*epsilon). You are leaving out some steps. If you are starting with k>0 you first need to figure out whether you will close the contour in the upper or lower half plane. Since you have exp(ikx) and you want that to be small for x far out on the arc you are using to close the contour, you pick the upper half plane since Im(x)>0 there. Yes, then you pick up the pole at i*epsilon. You are now leaving out the final step of taking epsilon->0. If k<0 then you close in the lower half plane. Now what?

So...the above result i obtained means that I just consider k>0, right?

then I should find the residule for two case:
k>0 and k<0

then f(k) is equal to the sum of residules
correct?

You already found the residue of the pole for the k>0 case (though you didn't justify it very well). What does happen if k<0? NO. You don't ADD them. They are two different cases.

For k > 0
[tex]\frac{e^{ikz}}{z-i\epsilon}[/tex]
pole : z=iε
residule is e^(-kε)

so f(k) = e^(-kε)

for k<0
[tex]\frac{1}{(e^{imz})(z-i\epsilon)}[/tex]

where m=|k|

pole: z=iε
residule: e^(mε)

so f(k) = e^(|k|ε)

umm...how to prove that they equal to 1 or 0?

Last edited:

Microzero said:
For k > 0
[tex]\frac{e^{ikz}}{z-i\epsilon}[/tex]
pole : z=iε
residule is e^(-kε)

so f(k) = e^(-kε)

for k<0
[tex]\frac{1}{(e^{imz})(z-i\epsilon)}[/tex]

where m=|k|

pole: z=iε
residule: e^(mε)

so f(k) = e^(|k|ε)

umm...how to prove that they equal to 1 or 0?

You might start by listening to what I'm saying. I've said that you need to take the limit of epsilon going to zero. And I've also said you need to think about what your closed contour looks like. What does the closed contour look like in both of these cases? After all, this is contour integration. You'd better start with a contour.

contour: consider a semicircle with inf. radius

that is just wht I have learned to solve this kind of integral from book

Last edited:

Microzero said:
contour: consider a semicircle with inf. radius

Sort of. That's not very complete or specific. You need a different contour for each of the two cases. What's the difference?

now I can prove that the integral is 0 when k< 0

but...for k>0...i still can;t show that it equals to 1...unless assume that ε → 0...
but the question just say that ε > 0

If you don't take the limit, then the integral is just e^(-k*epsilon). Not 1. But using i*epsilon in a problem like that is almost always a shorthand for 'epsilon>0 and approaching 0'. They may not have bothered to say that explicitly.

oic~~~~
thx~~~

What is a complex variable-definite integral?

A complex variable-definite integral is a type of integral in which the function being integrated has a complex variable as its argument. This means that the function can take on complex values, and the integral is evaluated along a complex contour rather than a real number line.

What are some common applications of complex variable-definite integrals?

Complex variable-definite integrals are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields to solve problems involving oscillatory systems, such as electromagnetic waves or quantum mechanics. They are also used in the study of complex analysis, a branch of mathematics that deals with functions of a complex variable.

How is a complex variable-definite integral evaluated?

The evaluation of a complex variable-definite integral involves using techniques from complex analysis, such as Cauchy's integral formula or the residue theorem. These techniques allow for the integration of complex functions along a contour in the complex plane.

What is the difference between a complex variable-definite integral and a real variable-definite integral?

The main difference between these two types of integrals is the domain over which the integration takes place. A real variable-definite integral is evaluated along a real number line, while a complex variable-definite integral is evaluated along a complex contour in the complex plane. Additionally, the functions being integrated in these two types of integrals have different properties and behaviors.

Are there any special considerations for evaluating complex variable-definite integrals?

Yes, there are several special considerations that must be taken into account when evaluating complex variable-definite integrals. These include choosing the appropriate contour of integration, dealing with branch cuts and branch points, and understanding the behavior of the function being integrated in the complex plane.