Compute the flux from left to right across a curve

In summary: I got it now. Thank you for explaining it again. In summary, the problem involves computing the flux of a vector field across a curve in the first quadrant, with a given parameterization. The direction of the flux is specified as "from left to right", indicating the use of the outward normal.
5hassay

Homework Statement

Compute the flux of [itex]\overrightarrow{F}(x,y) = (-y,x)[/itex] from left to right across the curve that is the image of the path [itex]\overrightarrow{\gamma} : [0, \pi /2] \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^2[/itex], [itex]t \mapsto (t\cos(t), t\sin(t))[/itex].

A (2-space) graph was actually given, and the problem referenced "the curve" as given in polar coordinates by [itex]r=\theta[/itex] and [itex]0\leq \pi/2[/itex], so the above parameterization was my doing.

Homework Equations

Flux is given by [itex]\int\int_{S}{\overrightarrow{F} \cdot d\overrightarrow{S}} = \int\int_{D}{\overrightarrow{F} \cdot \overrightarrow{n} dA} = \int\int_{D}{- F_1 g_x - F_2 g_y + F_3} dA[/itex], where [itex]\overrightarrow{F}[/itex] is a vector field defined on a surface [itex]S[/itex] given by [itex]z = g(x,y)[/itex], oriented by a unit normal [itex]\overrightarrow{n}[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I am thrown off by the "from left to right" requirement--I don't know what that means. The idea I have is that it has something to do with the direction of the normal.

Also, I have only really dealt with (3-space) surfaces.

Second, I am used to computing the normal as the cross product of the parametrized surface of [itex]S[/itex] differentiated with respect to each of the two variables parameterizing it. Here, I only have one variable. Would I change my parameterization to have two variable but only use one?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
5hassay said:

Homework Statement

Compute the flux of [itex]\overrightarrow{F}(x,y) = (-y,x)[/itex] from left to right across the curve that is the image of the path [itex]\overrightarrow{\gamma} : [0, \pi /2] \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^2[/itex], [itex]t \mapsto (t\cos(t), t\sin(t))[/itex].

A (2-space) graph was actually given, and the problem referenced "the curve" as given in polar coordinates by [itex]r=\theta[/itex] and [itex]0\leq \pi/2[/itex], so the above parameterization was my doing.

Homework Equations

Flux is given by [itex]\int\int_{S}{\overrightarrow{F} \cdot d\overrightarrow{S}} = \int\int_{D}{\overrightarrow{F} \cdot \overrightarrow{n} dA} = \int\int_{D}{- F_1 g_x - F_2 g_y + F_3} dA[/itex], where [itex]\overrightarrow{F}[/itex] is a vector field defined on a surface [itex]S[/itex] given by [itex]z = g(x,y)[/itex], oriented by a unit normal [itex]\overrightarrow{n}[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I am thrown off by the "from left to right" requirement--I don't know what that means. The idea I have is that it has something to do with the direction of the normal.

Also, I have only really dealt with (3-space) surfaces.

Second, I am used to computing the normal as the cross product of the parametrized surface of [itex]S[/itex] differentiated with respect to each of the two variables parameterizing it. Here, I only have one variable. Would I change my parameterization to have two variable but only use one?

Thanks.

Yes, it's the choice of which normal to use. If you sketch your curve and thing of things flowing left to right, they would be flowing in the direction of increasing r from your curve. So use the normal pointing away from the origin. And if you take the derivative with respect to your parameter you'll get a tangent vector. In 2d finding the normal to that is easy. Just rotate it 90 degrees.

Dick said:
Yes, it's the choice of which normal to use. If you sketch your curve and thing of things flowing left to right, they would be flowing in the direction of increasing r from your curve. So use the normal pointing away from the origin. And if you take the derivative with respect to your parameter you'll get a tangent vector. In 2d finding the normal to that is easy. Just rotate it 90 degrees.

Thanks for the response.

"If you sketch your curve and thing of things flowing left to right, they would be flowing in the direction of increasing r from your curve."

I don't understand what you are saying here. Could you please explain more explicitly? I am thinking you are talking about drawing the vector field of [itex]\overrightarrow{F}[/itex] over the graph of the curve. If that is the case, I am having trouble seeing that the vector field flows in the direction of increase of the curve.

5hassay said:
Thanks for the response.

"If you sketch your curve and thing of things flowing left to right, they would be flowing in the direction of increasing r from your curve."

I don't understand what you are saying here. Could you please explain more explicitly? I am thinking you are talking about drawing the vector field of [itex]\overrightarrow{F}[/itex] over the graph of the curve. If that is the case, I am having trouble seeing that the vector field flows in the direction of increase of the curve.

No, I'm not paying any attention to F. Your curve goes out from the origin and then back to the y-axis in the first quadrant. You have two choices of normal, it can be rotated right or left from the tangent. If they say flux from left to right, I think you should pick the normal to the right.

Last edited:
Dick said:
No, I'm not paying any attention to F. Your curve goes out from the origin and then back to the y-axis in the first quadrant. You have two choices of normal, it can be rotated right or left from the tangent. If they say flux from left to right, I think you should pick the normal to the right.

Thanks for the reply.

Alright... I think I need to work on my intuition for this stuff to better understand your help.

Anyway, I think I've got something decent, and I'm done with it. For anyone looking at this thread for help, I found this link helpful:

http://web.mit.edu/jorloff/www/18.02a-esg-iap/topic40.pdf

Thanks again Dick.

5hassay said:
Thanks for the reply.

Alright... I think I need to work on my intuition for this stuff to better understand your help.

Anyway, I think I've got something decent, and I'm done with it. For anyone looking at this thread for help, I found this link helpful:

http://web.mit.edu/jorloff/www/18.02a-esg-iap/topic40.pdf

Thanks again Dick.

That's great! But let me try and explain again. If they give you a closed curve and say compute the flux they usually mean outward going flux. So you should pick the outward normal. So if they give you a curve and describe the direction (here left to right) you should pick the normal pointed outward from that direction. So that's rightwards.

Dick said:
That's great! But let me try and explain again. If they give you a closed curve and say compute the flux they usually mean outward going flux. So you should pick the outward normal. So if they give you a curve and describe the direction (here left to right) you should pick the normal pointed outward from that direction. So that's rightwards.

Gotcha; that makes a bit more sense now. Thanks for the generalization!

What is flux and why is it important in scientific computations?

Flux is the measure of flow of a physical quantity through a given surface or boundary. It is important in scientific computations because it helps us understand the movement and distribution of various quantities such as heat, mass, and energy, which are fundamental to many phenomena in nature.

How is flux computed across a curve?

Flux across a curve is computed by integrating the dot product of the vector field and the normal vector to the curve, over the given curve. Mathematically, it is represented as the surface integral of the dot product of the vector field and the unit normal vector to the surface.

What information is needed to compute the flux across a curve?

To compute the flux across a curve, we need to know the vector field that represents the quantity flowing through the curve, the equation of the curve, and the unit normal vector to the curve at each point.

What are some real-life applications of computing flux across a curve?

Computing flux across a curve has many real-life applications, such as calculating the rate of heat transfer in engineering and understanding fluid dynamics in meteorology and oceanography. It is also used in physics to analyze electromagnetic fields and in biology to study the flow of ions and molecules across cell membranes.

What are some techniques for computing flux across a curve?

One technique for computing flux across a curve is by using the divergence theorem, which relates the flux through a closed surface to the volume integral of the divergence of the vector field. Another method is using parametric equations to parameterize the curve and then integrating the dot product of the vector field and the unit normal vector along the curve's parameterization.