Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computer cd drive in car

1. Aug 16, 2005 #1
    hello every one
    i just joined up
    can any one supply me with circuit diagrams and parts lists
    i want to run a pc cddrive in my car
    so i want to make a dc dc converter thaht takes 12V and gives out +12V +5V and two grounds like in a pc
    there are converters and inverters available
    but they are expensive not readily available in our country and i cant buy online
    so iwant to make my own circuit

can any one please help :smile:
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2005 #2
    hello all
    i still couldnot get help
    may be some one could send me circuit diagram for dc ac inverter 100w or more
    and parts list
    thanks any body
  4. Aug 29, 2005 #3

Staff: Mentor

You probably didn't get help because it isn't clear what you are trying to do. For what purpose do you want a cd-rom drive? Is it connected to a computer? Anyway, my recommendation would be to buy an adapter from Radio Shack that puts out 5V, rather than try to make one yourself.
  5. Aug 29, 2005 #4

Staff: Mentor

You don't need 100W for a CDROM drive -- probably more like a couple of watts. Just use the car 12V straight for the 12V (maybe filter it a little), and use a 7805-type linear regulator to make the 5V. Pretty straightforward, and a lot cleaner supplies compared to using a DC-DC converter.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?