Computing Inner Products in C: Simplifying Complex Vector Calculations

• Thread starter torquerotates
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computing
In summary, the conversation is about finding the inner product of two complex numbers, x=(2,1+i,i) and y=(2-i,2,1+2i). The individual is unsure how to approach this problem and initially considers using the equation <a,b>=|a||b|cos(theta), but is unsure if it is applicable for complex numbers. Another person suggests using a different method, similar to computing the inner product of real vectors. The conversation ends with a reminder to check class notes and textbook for a formula or method to compute the inner product of complex numbers.
torquerotates

Homework Statement

x=(2,1+i,i) and y=(2-i,2,1+2i)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

um ok normally i would use <a,b>=|a||b|cos(theta). But these are complex numbers. I have no clue how to do this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Surely you have a definition to appeal to?

(and I'm pretty sure that <a,b>=|a||b|cos(theta) isn't it -- and even if that equation were correct, it is rare that you'd actually want to use it to compute an inner product)

Suppose instead you were just working with real vectors -- say (2,20,2) and (10,1,1). There is no need to compute the angle between these vectors. There is a much easier way to do this. What is another way to compute the inner product that |a||b|cos(theta)? How would you generalize this to complex numbers?

And finally, what is in your class notes and text? I am quite certain your instructor does not expect you to derive the formula for computing the inner product in C3. He or she expects you to use something you have already been taught.

Related to Computing Inner Products in C: Simplifying Complex Vector Calculations

1. What is an inner product in computing?

An inner product in computing is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and produces a scalar value. It is often used to measure the similarity between two vectors or to project one vector onto another.

2. Why is C a commonly used language for computing inner products?

C is a commonly used language for computing inner products because it is a low-level language that allows for efficient memory management and high performance. It also has built-in support for mathematical operations, making it a suitable choice for vector calculations.

3. How do I compute inner products in C?

To compute inner products in C, you will need to use the dot product formula, which involves multiplying the corresponding elements of two vectors and then adding them together. This can be done using a for loop or by using built-in functions such as "dot product" in the math library.

4. How accurate are inner product calculations in C?

The accuracy of inner product calculations in C depends on the precision of the data types used for the vectors. If high precision is required, it is recommended to use double or long double data types. However, in most cases, standard float data types provide sufficient accuracy.

5. Are there any libraries or packages available for computing inner products in C?

Yes, there are several libraries and packages available for computing inner products in C, such as the GNU Scientific Library (GSL) and Intel Math Kernel Library (MKL). These libraries provide optimized functions for vector operations, including inner product calculations.