Calculating the Pullback of a 1-Form on S1 by a Differentiable Map

• Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computing
In summary, the conversation discusses the computation of the pullback of the form dθ on a 3-manifold by a differentiable map f, using basis vectors and the general result that relates the pullback to the pushforward of the differentiable map. The correct equations and a general result are provided for reference.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi, All:
I'm kind of rusty in my computations. I'm trying to compute the pullback of the form dθ on S1 by a differentiable map f: M→S1, where f is differentiable and M is a 3-manifold; please tell me if this is correct:

0)Say we use the basis vectors {∂/∂x1,∂/∂x2, ∂/∂x3, }

for TxM ;

1)We compute the pushforwards of the three basis vectors, and get:

f*(∂/∂xi)=∂f/∂xi∂/∂θ , for i=1,2,3.

2)We evaluate dθ at each of the pushforwards of the basis vectors, to get:

dθ (∂f/∂xi∂/∂θ)= (∂f/∂xi); i=1,2,3.

3)We conclude :

f*dθ = ∂f/∂x1dx+ ∂f/∂x2dy+ ∂f/∂x3dz

Is this correct?

Thanks for your comments.

Physics news on Phys.org
WWGD said:
Hi, All:
I'm kind of rusty in my computations. I'm trying to compute the pullback of the form dθ on S1 by a differentiable map f: M→S1, where f is differentiable and M is a 3-manifold; please tell me if this is correct:

0)Say we use the basis vectors {∂/∂x1,∂/∂x2, ∂/∂x3, }

for TxM ;

1)We compute the pushforwards of the three basis vectors, and get:

f*(∂/∂xi)=∂f/∂xi∂/∂θ , for i=1,2,3.

Shouldn't this be

[tex]f_*(\frac{\partial}{\partial x^i}) = \frac{\partial (\theta\circ f)}{\partial x^i} \frac{\partial}{\partial \theta}[/tex]

The rest look right. But there is a general result. That says that if ##G:M\rightarrow N## is smooth and if ##f:N\rightarrow \mathbb{R}## is smooth, then ##G^*(df) = d(f\circ G)##. This could make your calculations easier.

1. What is the concept of computing pullback of 1-form?

The concept of computing pullback of 1-form involves transforming a 1-form on one manifold to a 1-form on another manifold using a smooth map between the two manifolds. This allows for the comparison of 1-forms on different manifolds and is an important tool in differential geometry and calculus.

2. How is the pullback of a 1-form defined?

The pullback of a 1-form is defined as the composition of the inverse of the smooth map and the 1-form on the target manifold. This results in a 1-form on the source manifold that can be used to compare with other 1-forms on the source manifold.

3. What is the purpose of computing the pullback of a 1-form?

The purpose of computing the pullback of a 1-form is to be able to compare 1-forms on different manifolds. This is useful in various mathematical and scientific fields, such as differential geometry, topology, and physics.

4. What is the difference between pullback and pushforward of a 1-form?

The pullback of a 1-form transforms a 1-form on the target manifold to a 1-form on the source manifold, while the pushforward of a 1-form transforms a 1-form on the source manifold to a 1-form on the target manifold. In other words, pullback goes from the target to the source, while pushforward goes from the source to the target.

5. How is the pullback of a 1-form calculated in practice?

The pullback of a 1-form is calculated by first finding the inverse of the smooth map between the two manifolds. Then, the inverse is used to transform the 1-form on the target manifold to a 1-form on the source manifold. This involves taking the derivative of the inverse map and multiplying it with the 1-form on the target manifold. The resulting 1-form is the pullback of the original 1-form on the source manifold.