1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Concept Problem: Pendulum

1. Apr 9, 2013 #1
    The physical pendulum is an object suspended from some point a distance d from its center of mass. If its moment of inertia about the center of mass is given by:
    I= Icm + Md2
    where d is the distance from the pivot to the center of mass of the pendulum.

Consider that some odd-shaped physical pendulum of mass M is suspended from some pivot point and displaced through a given angle θ, then released. If the pendulum has a moment of Intertia I about the pivot, then the differential equation describing its subsequent motion is
    Id2θ/dt2 = -Mgdsinθ

a) Use the above info to justify that for a sufficiently small angular displacement, the physical pendulum oscillates with simple harmonic motion with angular frequency
    ω = √(mgd/I)

SO: I know that I have to follow the argument for a simple pendulum to justify the solution for the physical pendulum. I think that is involves torque, angular acceleration, and/or moments of inertia. I am not sure how to fully justify the angular frequency equation.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2013 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is the differential equation you know for a simple pendulum?

4. Apr 10, 2013 #3
    I'm confused if this is an actual question or one that is supposed to make me think.

The differential equation for the motion of a pendulum is Id2θ/dt2

5. Apr 10, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The DE above is not SHM. Your first step is to turn it into a DE for SHM by doing an approximation that's valid for small θ. Do you know a suitable approximation?

6. Apr 10, 2013 #5

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The latter.

That is not an equation. Where's the rest of it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted